Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinions please - best exterior paint for old house

This group is always so helpful with suggestions I thought I'd get your
recommendations on exterior paint. My house is about 200 years old and
I have a mixture of old, scraped wood, and large sections of brand new
(raw wood) clapboards. Fifteen years ago I painted the house with one
coat of oil-based primer, and one coat of VERY expensive oil-based
paint. Although expensive, it went on great, covered like a dream, and
lasted for ten years. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name,
and the only store in town which sold it has closed.

Ten years ago I hired somene (first mistake, not doing it myself) to
scrape and paint. He prepped it ok, but then he used exterior latex
primer and exterior latex paint, one coat each. He used a cheapo house
brand from some big box store (second mistake, letting someone else
choose the paint) and it started peeling and fading within two years.

So...I'm finished with the prep on the old stuff, and the new sections
are almost in, so I need to paint. I considered stain, but then I'd
have to scrape all the old stuff down to raw wood, and most of the old
stuff really doesn't need that, and it would take me forever.

So, what do you recommend? I've seen some research touting "California"
paint, and one report saying it's the worst. Some old reports recommend
Sherwin Williams, but new reports say no. I really wish I could
remember the name of the oil-based stuff I used, but it's been 15 years
and paint formulas change.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Something doesn't add up here. You say the oil based paint that went
on 15 years ago lasted 10 years and then that you had it scraped and
painted 10 years ago?

So...I'm finished with the prep on the old stuff, and the new sections
are almost in, so I need to paint. I considered stain, but then I'd
have to scrape all the old stuff down to raw wood, and most of the old
stuff really doesn't need that, and it would take me forever.

Stain is great for wood that has natural grain and character. A house
that has been painted for 200 years doesn't fit that description and
likely wouldn't look good even if you did strip the old stuff off,
which as you noted is a long and expensive project.

So, what do you recommend? I've seen some research touting "California"
paint, and one report saying it's the worst. Some old reports recommend
Sherwin Williams, but new reports say no. I really wish I could
remember the name of the oil-based stuff I used, but it's been 15 years
and paint formulas change.

Thanks for any recommendations.

I'd go to Consumer Reports website. They do actual testing, which may
not be perfect but I think it has validity, is consistent and is based
more on fact than personal opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
This group is always so helpful with suggestions I thought I'd get your
recommendations on exterior paint. My house is about 200 years old and
I have a mixture of old, scraped wood, and large sections of brand new
(raw wood) clapboards. Fifteen years ago I painted the house with one
coat of oil-based primer, and one coat of VERY expensive oil-based
paint. Although expensive, it went on great, covered like a dream, and
lasted for ten years. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name,
and the only store in town which sold it has closed.

Then how do you know it was the only one??? (Sorry, couldn't help
myself... )

So, what do you recommend? I've seen some research touting "California"
paint, and one report saying it's the worst. Some old reports recommend
Sherwin Williams, but new reports say no. I really wish I could
remember the name of the oil-based stuff I used, ...

IMO, as you've alluded to, the prep is far more significant than the
paint itself, given a good quality paint and imo there's not a
tremendous difference between manufacturers' as long as you're
comparing similarly priced products.

One thing is quite different since 10-15 years ago, and that is that it
is quite difficult to actually find oil-based topcoat paints these days
owing to (apparently) EPA rules. I'd go w/ an oil-based primer and a
good latex enamel topcoat.

Put the "lifetime" Sherwin-Williams on the church a few years ago after
the big hail--it's certainly holding up so far, but is also quite
pricey. I didn't go quite so expensive on the barn restoration project
and used the top-line Behr oil-based primer and latex topcoat since the
local S-W folks (the only independent paint dealer in town) didn't seem
to want to come off straight retail even for 80 gal primer and 120 gal
topcoat. Although owing the size we sprayed rather than brushed,
it went on and covered well and is holding up well (again, after three
years so is only beginning).

Posted to alt.home.repair

I repainted my trim using Benjamin Moore. That lasted only about 7
years. The current job used Sears "best" and it is still fine after at
least 5 years. The current coat is a semi-gloss alkyd enamel while the
first was a flat white latex. [editorial comment: I find everything
about Sears really poor these days. So, I think you will be lucky to
get good paint out of them!] Good luck.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've painted my shed with Behr Exterior (although for the life of me, I
can't tell you which version). It has held up well for 4 years. Yeah, not
a real test yet I know but it has held up in the extremely strong sun here
and recently against a lot of rain. If I remember, CR seems to like the
Behr as well although I usually take their ratings with a grain of salt.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Aug 2006 07:34:41 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Have you checked Consumer's Reports? They do periodic testings for
paint. Strange that the ratings depend on the color selected. Lots
of folks recommend Benjamin Moore. The prep work is very important.
Red likes to fade more than other colors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I used Sherwin-Williams Duration (about $45/gal.)
It's supposed to be their best paint. CS hates it, I think.
8 years, one coat. Was sprayed. No peeling yet.