Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default Opinions please - best exterior paint for old house

I repainted my trim using Benjamin Moore. That lasted only about 7
years. The current job used Sears "best" and it is still fine after at
least 5 years. The current coat is a semi-gloss alkyd enamel while the
first was a flat white latex. [editorial comment: I find everything
about Sears really poor these days. So, I think you will be lucky to
get good paint out of them!] Good luck.

wrote:
This group is always so helpful with suggestions I thought I'd get your
recommendations on exterior paint. My house is about 200 years old and
I have a mixture of old, scraped wood, and large sections of brand new
(raw wood) clapboards. Fifteen years ago I painted the house with one
coat of oil-based primer, and one coat of VERY expensive oil-based
paint. Although expensive, it went on great, covered like a dream, and
lasted for ten years. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand name,
and the only store in town which sold it has closed.

Ten years ago I hired somene (first mistake, not doing it myself) to
scrape and paint. He prepped it ok, but then he used exterior latex
primer and exterior latex paint, one coat each. He used a cheapo house
brand from some big box store (second mistake, letting someone else
choose the paint) and it started peeling and fading within two years.

So...I'm finished with the prep on the old stuff, and the new sections
are almost in, so I need to paint. I considered stain, but then I'd
have to scrape all the old stuff down to raw wood, and most of the old
stuff really doesn't need that, and it would take me forever.

So, what do you recommend? I've seen some research touting "California"
paint, and one report saying it's the worst. Some old reports recommend
Sherwin Williams, but new reports say no. I really wish I could
remember the name of the oil-based stuff I used, but it's been 15 years
and paint formulas change.

Thanks for any recommendations.