Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to remove concrete floor in bathroom

I recently bought a 1968 bungalow that needs some renovations and
updating. One of the bathrooms has a crack in the concrete floor where
the tub meets the wall. I chisled out the 3" thick piece of concrete
that was cracked and noticed that there is severe water damage to a
joist that sits below the slab. I believe the previous owners kept
using the shower (only one in the house, so it got plenty of use) and
let water seap down in the crack.

So....I would like to pull up the concrete slab to find out what I am
up against. My question is, what is the easiest way to get this
concrete up causing the least damage to what's underneath? I have
noticed a lot people just banging on it with a hammer, but I am scared
I might be adding weight to the weak joists below. Cutting the concrete
is also an option I guess, but do you just set the saw to not cut more
than 3" (slab thickness)?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I jumped head first into this
project. This is my first house and it was a foreclosure, so I have
lots of work ahead of me.

.......Thanks in advance for the responses.

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM