Junior Member

Default curb repair

My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and crevice and sections virtually gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be very surprised if you were allowed to perform work on town
streets. They are not yours to work on -- they are owned and maintained
by the town, and around here the town does not take it lightly if
someone starts toying with town property.

If there is truly a problem, call the town road maintenance / highway
department and ask them to fix it. If it is just a few cracks, or curb
envy, they will politely tell you they have more important things to
work on. Or just laugh.

-Kevin

--
IRISHMUSE

Posted to alt.home.repair

IRISHMUSE wrote:
My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated
village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but
ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless
someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new
types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's
good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the
traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got
sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and
crevice and sections virtually gone.

--
IRISHMUSE

As Kevin says, those are not your curbs.
Money is tight for roadwork these days.
Call your Street and Walks folks.
Call your Council person.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"IRISHMUSE" wrote in message

My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated
village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but
ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless
someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new
types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's
good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the
traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got
sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and
crevice and sections virtually gone.

Have you talked to the town? Unless it is a private street, they are
responsible for hte curbing. Fixing them may land you in trouble. As for
the weeds, a shot or Roundup or similar spray will take care of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"IRISHMUSE" wrote in message

My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated
village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but
ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless
someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new
types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's
good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the
traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got
sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and
crevice and sections virtually gone.

Have you talked to the town? Unless it is a private street, they are
responsible for hte curbing. Fixing them may land you in trouble. As for
the weeds, a shot or Roundup or similar spray will take care of them.

Don't know the law about this, but Roundup has been an issue here.
Seems that if you spray Roundup, all if fine. But if a municipality
does it, they need an applicator license, there are OSHA requirements,
etc., just because they are a type of organization than an individual.
So it's okay for a person and not for a gov't(without permits) but I
don't know about a private person on gov't property. It might depend
on who owns the property. Does the town own the road or do they have a
ROW?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless
someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new
types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's
good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the
traditional way.

You could take a garbage can and just throw abunch of stuff you have
laying around the house like food, graass clippings, dirt, some leaves,
soap, salt and whaterver else you can find add water and stir it and
use it to patch it.......get real..... concrete is fixed with concrete
or cement based product with latex additives. Any "NEW" types of
material are going to be MORE exspensive than sand, cement & gravel
probably the cheapest materials still. If you cant afford the
traditional way you cant affort a new way...
As far as the city or town goes yes this is tec their property and curb
and gutter is a particular pain in the red tape a&% when it comes to
the city and permits. Just as a note typically anything you do in the
street (from curb and gutter out) requires you to put up a special bond
or increase your homeowners liability insurance for the period while
the work is being done. Also the curb and gutter is an engineering
department issue and you must meet with them before they will even
think of allowing you to do anything in the street. Then again if you
cannot afford to fix it you probably cannot afford the permit fees....
ou may want to start you process to the Redevelopment agency in your
city or town..the ususlly have state or federal funds set aside for
just this reason.....

IRISHMUSE wrote:
My front road in on a town street though I live in an incorporated
village. The village redid all the other curbs on the side streets but
ignores town streets. I expect I'll have to shell out thousands unless
someone can give me some tips on how to do it cheaply and with new
types of materials. I know there out there. I just don't know what's
good, what's been used, and how people worked it. I can't afford the
traditional way. Thanks Anybody for replying. Right now I've got
sections of broken curb with an abundance of weeds in every crack and
crevice and sections virtually gone.

--
IRISHMUSE

repair horizontal foundation crack [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 24th 05 05:11 PM
Curb repair C & M Home Repair 9 September 29th 05 10:56 PM
Online Repair Manuals for Sony TV's? Norminn Home Repair 5 September 16th 05 03:54 PM
Pioneer SD-P5183 projection TV needs repair in Central Florida Joe Electronics Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:37 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM