Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foundation Repair and Living in House

Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Math teacher" wrote in message
ps.com...
Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Well as you indicated, it depends on the extent of the repairs.

That said, a buddy of mine needed to have one side of his house jacked up
18+ inches, he lived in it all through the repairs. He took it very slowly
and considering he is a mechanical engineer had sufficient knowledge to
apply extra bracing. The side of his house he jacked up was the side
containing his chimney, just to add another level of complexity to it.

All said it took him a year or so to repair the foundation, 6 months to jack
up the house and 6 months to complete the repairs. He took it slowly so as
to provide the house framing time to relax and reform to its new shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Math teacher wrote:
Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Eigenvector has the right idea.
If the foundation repairs are extensive,
the utilities may have to be cut so house can be raised enough to do
the work.
If the repairs are minor, slow raising of parts of the house can allow
living in the house.
(This house has been raised in parts several times while we continued
lived in it.)
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our house had a crawlspace, and we really wanted a basement under it.
Estimates for the housemover to jack up the house was over $11,000. That
did not include hooking/un-hooking any utilities OR any of the prep work,
which I was going to have to do myself. The basement would have cost
another $28,000 on top of that. Work would have taken a month or two to
complete. And yes, we were told that we could live in the house while the
work was being done.

In the end, we ended up building a new home with a basement. It was just
easier.

"Math teacher" wrote in message
ps.com...
Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Aug 2006 09:05:00 -0700, "Math teacher"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Very nasty work sometimes and takes a month or two sometimes. Lots
of dirt tracked in to the house.

Most continue to live in the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In the end, we ended up building a new home with a basement. It was just
easier.

Yep!

I have generally been of the opinion that if you want extra room or
otherwise want to make major modifications to your home, it's almost always
cheaper to buy a house that has what you want and sell the old house than
modify the old house. Your old house may be exactly what someone else
needs.

If you LOVE your present neighborhood, often a "tear down" and restart is
cheaper than extensives ad ons and remodeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Math teacher wrote:
Can anyone tell me if you can continue to live in a house that needs
foundation repairs while the repairs are being done? Also, I realize
that this next answer depends on the extent of the problem, but do
repairs normally take days, weeks or months?

Thanks for any insight.

Wanted to update everyone. Thanks for all your replies. Foundation
repair company came out and said for $12,400 they could fix it. Will
take a couple of days to set the piers and then they come back out a
week or two later. No problem living in the house.

Old house w/ abruptly uneven floors/windows - should I be worried? [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 7th 06 05:22 AM
International School of Blog Repair Cliff Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 12:51 PM
Help, trying to sell and I feel like there's a rat.... Shiba Home Repair 56 January 19th 06 05:47 PM
Cheers to all who replied with advice re 1930's house with crack Velvet UK diy 19 July 21st 05 10:35 AM
Homeowners Insurance 101 | THIS OLD HOUSE Ablang Home Ownership 0 June 18th 05 04:12 AM