Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Redwood Siding

I have 1/2 x 10 inch plain bevel redwood siding on my home. I need to
replace some damaged boards, but can only find 3/4" siding. Anyone
have ideas about building a jig for a planer or jointer to bring the
thickness down to 1/2 inch? What I'm puzzled over is the thin edge of
the bevel is quite fragile and can split if handled roughly. Thought
I'd start with the experts. Any ideas would be helpful.
Mike in Oregon

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dust Boy wrote:
I have 1/2 x 10 inch plain bevel redwood siding on my home. I need to
replace some damaged boards, but can only find 3/4" siding. Anyone
have ideas about building a jig for a planer or jointer to bring the
thickness down to 1/2 inch? What I'm puzzled over is the thin edge of
the bevel is quite fragile and can split if handled roughly. Thought
I'd start with the experts. Any ideas would be helpful.

The easiest way to make up a jig would undoubtedly be to place a piece
of the siding on a backerboard w/ guides and lay the piece to be milled
other-end-to so it is then parallel to the bed of the planer and
supported it's full length/width.

Not knowing the precise profile, I'd be concerned if you take a full
quarter off, you'll end up w/ a paper thin side on the already thin
side which as you've noted, as fragile to begin with.

If there's much at all that needs to be replaced, you may want to
consider having some milled to match.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Dust Boy wrote:
[...]

Only need around 6 10' pieces. Thats why I thought playing around with
this could be a great savings over having some milled. Your suggestion
ahs given me some ideas. Since what I need is to beable to plane a
bevel edge. i:e: not taking so much off the thin side. Thanks for
your idea I'll work on it some more.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

What do you mean by "damaged"? Since good quality heart redwood
doesn't rot, you may have dried and split boards from the effects of
sun and rain. Some cracks may be fixed by using a mixture of epoxy and
redwood sawdust to fill-in. If the siding is unpainted redwood, these
would certainly be more challenging though. The other thing to
consider is that the thicker 3/4" siding would be nicer than the 1/2"
for durability if the lumber quality is otherwise the same. 1/2" is
pretty thin for a 10 inch wide board.

Dust Boy wrote:
I have 1/2 x 10 inch plain bevel redwood siding on my home. I need to
replace some damaged boards, but can only find 3/4" siding. Anyone
have ideas about building a jig for a planer or jointer to bring the
thickness down to 1/2 inch? What I'm puzzled over is the thin edge of
the bevel is quite fragile and can split if handled roughly. Thought
I'd start with the experts. Any ideas would be helpful.
Mike in Oregon

Patching Hardboard Siding [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 14th 09 08:46 PM
Redwood Siding Dust Boy Woodworking 0 August 12th 06 04:11 PM
Cement Fiber Siding in Place of Redwood? Jeffrae Home Repair 0 September 23rd 05 02:22 AM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
buying a house with Weyerhaeuser siding v Home Repair 5 March 22nd 04 04:49 AM