Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A retractable extension cord reel that works?

Im on my second extension cord reel of the this style:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Have a Home Depot version and this craftsman version. But both have
been marginally effective. In both cases a) they seem to stall on auto
rewind half way and require repeated tugging and repulling out to get
going again and b) they never quite pull the entire cord back in
without getting hung up (always leave a couple feet).

Is there such thing as one that really wors? ;^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Im on my second extension cord reel of the this style:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Have a Home Depot version and this craftsman version. But both have
been marginally effective. In both cases a) they seem to stall on auto
rewind half way and require repeated tugging and repulling out to get
going again and b) they never quite pull the entire cord back in
without getting hung up (always leave a couple feet).

Is there such thing as one that really wors? ;^)

Yes there is but they are a lot more than the two you bought.
http://tinyurl.com/mauwv

You might try taking one of them apart and lubing everything up and/or
tightening the spring one revolution. Wear glasses and gloves if you
attempt this, the spring is much more wiley than a that of a lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Im on my second extension cord reel of the this style:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Have a Home Depot version and this craftsman version. But both have
been marginally effective. In both cases a) they seem to stall on auto
rewind half way and require repeated tugging and repulling out to get
going again and b) they never quite pull the entire cord back in
without getting hung up (always leave a couple feet).

Is there such thing as one that really wors? ;^)

Not a "reel" as such but it serves the same purpose and has always
worked well for me:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?productID=WWD-0001

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

You might try spraying the cord with a light silicone lubricant. Unwind the
entire length, spray, then WIPE! I wouldn't use WD-40 or any petroleum
based lubricant.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im on my second extension cord reel of the this style:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Have a Home Depot version and this craftsman version. But both have
been marginally effective. In both cases a) they seem to stall on auto
rewind half way and require repeated tugging and repulling out to get
going again and b) they never quite pull the entire cord back in
without getting hung up (always leave a couple feet).

Is there such thing as one that really wors? ;^)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im on my second extension cord reel of the this style:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Have a Home Depot version and this craftsman version. But
both have
been marginally effective. In both cases a) they seem to
stall on auto
rewind half way and require repeated tugging and repulling
out to get
going again and b) they never quite pull the entire cord
back in
without getting hung up (always leave a couple feet).

Is there such thing as one that really wors? ;^)

I purchased two from Rockler when they were on sale for half
price. They have worked fine for over a year, plus they have
12 gauge wire. http://www.rockler.com and enter "reel" in
the search box.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It's Sears = return it, you are not satisfied.
--
Tekkie