Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Rob is offline

Default 2004 18hp Briggs & Stratton no spark

I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

Use a piece of notebook paper folded twice, making 4 thicknesses of paper.
Insert paper, then turn Crank/flywheel around to magnet side so both
'tongues' of the magneto sticks to it, then tighten the bolts. Gives a
decent gap so it doesn't have to be eyeballed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There should be no points. Electronic ign. in the newer motors.
wrote in message
On 1 Aug 2006 04:52:24 -0700, "Rob" wrote:

I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

You checked the points?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I
troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it
had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very
easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no
start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what
might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

Could be a bad ignition module. I had an engine with a bad
one that would only run when it wanted to. Replaced the
module and it ran fine.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:20:42 GMT, "John Lawrence"
wrote:

There should be no points. Electronic ign. in the newer motors.

Who says it's newer?

wrote in message
.. .
On 1 Aug 2006 04:52:24 -0700, "Rob" wrote:

I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

You checked the points?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 22:41:24 GMT, "John Lawrence"
wrote:

2004 is newer. Points haven't been used for years.

Oh, it says 2004 in the subject line. I hate it when people put info
in the subject line that they don't put in the body. It wastes my
time, like it did in this case, and it wasted yours too by extension.

And I sort of think it is stupid. When people write a non-fiction
paper, they don't put info on the title page that they omit from the
text.

.. .

wrote in message
On 1 Aug 2006 04:52:24 -0700, "Rob" wrote:

I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

You checked the points?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Rob is offline

Frank,
Is that the silver box with yellow wire and red coming out?
Frank K. wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a craftsman 18hp and recently had no spark, I
troubleshooted it
and determined it had a bad magneto based on the fact it
had no spark.
I replaced it new and it started fine the first time very
easily with
plenty of spark. The next day no spark again and no
start. I
eyeballed the gap on the magneto, does anyone know what
might be going
on?

Thank you

Bob

Could be a bad ignition module. I had an engine with a bad
one that would only run when it wanted to. Replaced the
module and it ran fine.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like it. Mine was in a black bakelite housing.

Frank

"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Frank,
Is that the silver box with yellow wire and red coming
out?
Frank K. wrote:
oups.com...

Old Carrier furnace: spark igniter Puddin' Man Home Repair 0 September 30th 05 04:30 PM
Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp running too rich? (Cutting out) [email protected] UK diy 18 September 27th 05 08:21 AM
Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp running too rich? (Cutting out) [email protected] Home Repair 17 September 26th 05 08:53 PM
Briggs & Stratton ignition question Roger Shoaf Metalworking 35 May 3rd 05 04:18 AM
3HP Briggs & Stratton choke not working combs Home Repair 2 December 4th 04 02:26 PM