Puddin' Man

Default Old Carrier furnace: spark igniter

Old Carrier furnace: spark igniter

Greetings,

I gotta Carrier upflow furnace (58GS075-2), made in '83.

It's old, but everything works except something in the spark
igniter circuit. I'm having trouble figgering what. I
replaced the gas valve 10 years ago, the rest is original
equipment.

Spark igniter (BDP model 733B) has 3 lo-voltage wires
(white, yellow, red) connected. Electrode (looks like
Penn model j996) has 120 v. wire (red) attached. Other
end of red wire is hard-wired into black 2 x 3 x 1 "
box labeled 'spark ignition'.

Tstat calls for heat. Vent damper does it's thing.
Pilot gas flows, and the igniter is supposed to
spark, but I can't measure any voltage from the
electrode to the pilot shield (or to the gas pipe).

I once lit the pilot with a match. It went thru the
cycle OK: fired the main burners, blower, etc.

I can't even get the lo-voltage connector to the
igniter to separate. Some parts of this furnace
look like they were engineered in Outer-Space.
Of course, I'm not a "Pro" ...

The igniter electrode *looks* OK. The wiring diagram
looks incomplete: I can't find the 120 v. to the
spark ignition box.

How to test the spark ignition (black) box? The
spark igniter circuit(s)?

Any/all help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***

Old Carrier furnace and heat-exchanger Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 August 29th 05 03:37 PM
Carrier Gas Furnace - Ignition Lights But Nothing Else Bob Pietrangelo Home Ownership 6 February 1st 05 06:30 AM
spark ignited furnace question Hamilton Audio Home Repair 5 January 10th 05 03:09 AM
Carrier 58GS Gas Furnace (20 yrs old): Blower removal Puddin' Man Home Repair 7 November 14th 04 08:53 PM
Carrier variable speed gas furnace don h Home Repair 0 October 24th 04 10:54 PM