Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oak Tree removal

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what kind of price I should be expected to pay.

If the tree is straight and thick, you might get someone to take it away for
free. Consider how much wood is worth these days!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DONT GO FOR PRICE!!! GO FOR QUALITY AND SAFETY!!

I once took the low bidder, seriously BAD decision!

the idiot crew damaged the homes roof a little, knocked over a pole
light breaking the underground wiring, and their grand finale was
taking down a 15 THOUSAND VOLT POOWER LINE, fortunately no one got
killed it was very close thing...........

stupid neighbor tried driving over what might have been a live power
line, police were on site, neighbors unhappy beteen power failure and
cable outage, which effected a 5 mile area late afternoon it messed
up dinner for many, a couple neighbors came and yelled at me, seems one
worked shifts and was late for work

clean up and police reports took 2 additional days let alone roof
repair and had to dig up and replace pole light and wiring.

by that time I deducted some when paying the tree crew, I saw their
carelesness, climber was in big hurry.

I suggested they all get a new line of work before someone died.

Heard later their insurance paid out 15 grand in damages they probably
went out of business.

Learn from my bad experience. If the tree overhangs wires or a building
it will cost a fortune. In some areas the power company will take trees
below the level of the lines for free with a written guarantee of NOT
planting a new one...

One last thought many people LOVE a mature tree it can add thousands in
resale value, something to consider...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:34:19 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

It gripes me to see an Oak that is possibly 100 - 200 years old cut
down. If you do cut it down add the cost of grinding the stump down,
the roots are massive.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get several estimates and make sure they are all bidding on the same work.
Some will just do cut down, others will cut and remove and clean up.

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be sure they are insured, call their broker, fake or expired
certificates are common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have learned to hate trees, after 10 years and $ 10,000 in removing
collapsed or sick trees, I now enjoy the trees on my neighbors properties,
preferable in the distance. Trees end up being nothing but an expensive
nuisance and danger, especially huge eucalyptus trees, pines trees, willow
trees and oaks. What you may gain in resale value you have to pay for in
maintenance and removal.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:09:12 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

I have learned to hate trees, after 10 years and $ 10,000 in removing
collapsed or sick trees, I now enjoy the trees on my neighbors properties,
preferable in the distance. Trees end up being nothing but an expensive
nuisance and danger, especially huge eucalyptus trees, pines trees, willow
trees and oaks. What you may gain in resale value you have to pay for in
maintenance and removal.

I too, love my neighbors trees and consider them mine to view and
enjoy.

However, I have lots of trees and they increase the value of my
property by $10,000 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I have learned to hate trees, after 10 years and $ 10,000 in removing
collapsed or sick trees, I now enjoy the trees on my neighbors properties,
preferable in the distance. Trees end up being nothing but an expensive
nuisance and danger, especially huge eucalyptus trees, pines trees, willow
trees and oaks. What you may gain in resale value you have to pay for in
maintenance and removal.

Trees are your friends. They provide shade to your house, give the birdies
a place to live and chirp, give the squirrels something to live on. The
roots help regenerate and stabilize the soil. The needles and leaves add
fresh compost to the soil. The leaves provide oxygen back to the atmosphere
that grass simply can't do in large amounts. Yeah they can be a pain, the
limbs litter the ground, they occasionally fall on the house or property but
unless you live in an old-growth forest that couldn't happen but once in a
decade

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not if I were the purchaser of your home. I would knock off 10,000 from your
price. :-)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
news
wrote:

I have learned to hate trees, after 10 years and $ 10,000 in removing
collapsed or sick trees, I now enjoy the trees on my neighbors properties,
preferable in the distance. Trees end up being nothing but an expensive
nuisance and danger, especially huge eucalyptus trees, pines trees, willow
trees and oaks. What you may gain in resale value you have to pay for in
maintenance and removal.

I too, love my neighbors trees and consider them mine to view and
enjoy.

However, I have lots of trees and they increase the value of my
property by $10,000 .

Posted to alt.home.repair

The idea of making sure they are all bdding on the same thing is vital.

Suggest you type out a list f what you ant done, give every bidder the
list, get their bid writen right onto the list.

Examples of thngs I'd include on the list taht Id want from each bidder a

1. Provide me an insurance binder from you liability company. Have
your insuance agent or insurance company fax it directly to me at (phone
number). Sorry, no, a copy of the policy from you is not enough. I have
to know the policy is still in force:

2. Work:

a. cut down tree.

b. cut tree into 16" rounds for my
woodstove, I'll split.

- or- b. tree feller cuts and removes all trunk
pieces.

c. limb out tree and leave all
branches for kindling for my wood stove; I'll
clean yard

- or - c. tree feller limbs out and cleans
up all limbs, branches and
leaves;

d. tree feller grinds out stump;

-or - d. leave stump as is, cutting to 2"
above ground.

Obviously you choose only 1 version of tems b, c and d.

Just get all you bids on the same basis.

Id be looking for:

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"barbarow" wrote in message
Get several estimates and make sure they are all bidding on the same work.
Some will just do cut down, others will cut and remove and clean up.

--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven's Current Weather

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...er+Haven+33881
"Freckles" wrote in message
. ..
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I

want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next

week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an

estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message
. ..
Yeah. Right.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Jim, trees can't fall more frequently (ON AVERAGE) than about once every 10
to 20 years - otherwise the forest wouldn't be there. This is simple
probability and statistics, trees don't grow fast. It takes about 20 to 30
years for them to grow large enough to be a danger to anything and if they
are falling faster than once every 20 years there is an environmental reason
for it. Cure the environmental reason first, don't slash and burn and think
it will fix the underlying issue.

Now this assumes a reasonably rural setting where new trees are allowed to
grow naturally. Obviously some suburban nightmare with leftover trees from
the initial land rape will be in more danger. The trees in that situation
are in a precarious situation anyway, they are exposed to more wind and
weather, the ground nutrients are no longer being replenished to their
liking, and isolation exposes them to more insect damage - they're the only
source of food around so insects gravitate towards them. The solution there
is to either plant more trees, or zone off an area of the development
specifically for trees and natural fauna.

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Freckles wrote:
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that
I want to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central
Dallas. Next week I will be calling a company that does this type of
work to get an estimate. In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone
has had a similar experience with a tree removal in the recent past.
Mostly I would like to find out what kind of price I should be
expected to pay.

Exact same thing last year in Houston. Last spring, my oak woke up dead.
After waiting a couple of months to make sure it just wasn't trying to trick
me, I had it taken down.

I used a neighborhood handy-man. He cut up the tree and hauled the bits to
the curb. Did not grind the stump.

One hundred and eighty dollars. Plus a few cold drinks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

It gripes me to see an Oak that is possibly 100 - 200 years old cut
down.

Yeah, it would me too.... but a 40-foot-tall oak isn't anywhere near *one*
century old, let alone *two*.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I
want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next
week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an
estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out
what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

It gripes me to see an Oak that is possibly 100 - 200 years old cut
down. If you do cut it down add the cost of grinding the stump down,
the roots are massive.

Oren

And it gripes me to see my house and roof and my next door neighbor's house
and roof damaged by the tree limbs and roots.
And the tree is less than 20 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

review your property survey and hope it is on the city property. then
ask them to remove it.

"FREE OAK TREE" sign and advertise like crazy locally. maybe the
newspaper or local tv station has a slow news day and will run it as a
feature.

hang a nice swing from a branch and a FOR SALE sign on the house.

Freckles wrote:
I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noozer writes:

Consider how much wood is worth these days!

I think you're confusing unharvested timber with finished lumber. The
value is almost all in the harvesting and finishing, not the raw material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:35:04 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

And it gripes me to see my house and roof and my next door neighbor's house
and roof damaged by the tree limbs and roots.
And the tree is less than 20 years old.

By all means take it down. Your original post did not mention house
damage, etc. Since it affects the home next door, perhaps the expense
of removal can be shared or off-set a little with the neighbor.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, right.

--
[...]

"JimL" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:09:12 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:34:19 -0500, "Freckles"
wrotF:

I have an oak tree in my front yard which is about 40 feet tall that I want
to have cut down and hauled away. I live in North Central Dallas. Next week
I will be calling a company that does this type of work to get an estimate.
In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone has had a similar experience
with a tree removal in the recent past. Mostly I would like to find out what
kind of price I should be expected to pay.

Thanks, Don

I paid $1800 to have a 60' Beech tree removed from my property. Expect
to pay more if there are wires in the way or if the police have to be
called in to direct traffic around the work area.