Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C not starting up - Help needed

Need a little help over here......

I have a condo.... with a two part Bryant A/C system. One part is the compressor and
squirrel cage blower vented through a brick wall to the outside. The compressor pumps
freon to a ceiling unit which contains blower and distributes the cooled air into
ductwork.

A/C system is not turning on..... I'm not getting 25 vac ac to the wall unit.
Backtracking the wire...it seems that the low voltage is generated by a transformer
and relay in the ceiling unit. Line Voltage is present on both units, but a
measurement on what should be the low voltage circuit does not show any voltage.

So, here's why help is so desperately needed. We called BGE Home two weeks ago,
they scheduled a technician for last Monday afternoon. I lose 1/2 day from
work....BGEHome technician walks in and says.... you need to remove the ceiling panel
before I can work on the system. He writes a bill for $85.00 and leaves. Tuesday I
arrange people to come in and remove the ceiling panel to the ceiling a/c. Not a
difficult job. I place a service call...BGE home says....we'll have a technician out on
Friday. Friday comes, I have the ceiling company standing by, ready to replace the
a/c ceiling panel. BGE Home technician calls and leaves this message, "I won't be out
there today. Bye"....

So the ceiling people leave...2 people at 75.00 per hour for 4 hours waiting for the BGE
Home people. Irate we call BGE... They promise PROMISE AND PROMISE....WE WILL
have a technician out there on Saturday. Again...we wait. A technician walks in, says
"Oh, I don't work on these...I'm only an instructor" and walks back out the door.
Wait, we say...'who's going to fix this" and he says " Oh, I'll call the regular
repair rep...he'll be out tonight. So I call BGE Home and speak to the "duty manager"
who is your typical lousy customer service dead end guy.... the one who is supposed to
get the irate calls and doesn't give a rat's ass about customer service. He promises to
send a 'senior technician' out on Monday. Again someone has to be home from 12 to 4. I
ask him if he see's ANYTHING wrong with the whole scenario. He says "Oh, I'm not a
technician". This is BGE Home in Washington D.C. a somewhat major city.

BGE Home has ONE telephone number for the entire operation.... so corporate mid-level
management is well protected from their customer base.... sound familiar ???

Any help is appreciated...... if you live in Washington, D.C. and have a good
service company please let me know. Secondly, is there someplace online where
I can get a good service manual for the unit...provided I have a unit number.... and
Thirdly what's a good logistics source for Bryant air conditioners ???

What signals should I be looking for in the low voltage circuit....there are 5 legs on
the relay which is mounted onto a step down transformer.....probably 2 line input, 2
output and there is a 5th wire in the center of the relay.

Thanking you in advance !!!

Peter

PS... To the doom sayers... it's okay... I had years of experience of troubleshooting
computer and aviation electronics.... so I won't fry, I won't try to recharge the
high pressure side of the compressor and I promise to put all the screws back in
the ceiling panel when finished. Did I miss anything ??? I shouldn't have to be
doing this myself.....