Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Dyna-Myte 2800C info needed

Our prototype lab has a Dyna-Myte 2800C (CNC vertical mill) collecting
dust, we need to figure out what to do with it. Best info we have is
that it was built in early 90's, aquired used in mid 90's, has been used
for an ocasional project every other year or so. Spindle speed is up
near 10k, work surface is pretty small. Looks like it would do great on
things like PC boards and the like. It was used ("exercised") last year,
ran nicely. Comes with a box full of tool holders (BT-29?)

The big gripe is that it programs in a conversational mode that is non
standard and somewhat cumbersome. We have a Haas VF-0 that uses G code
generated by FeatureCam. We are down to the point where we would like
to stanardize. If it isn't in G code, it's outa here.

Three big questions (fill in details as required!!)
1)Is there anything this machine does so well that we should keep it if
we have the Haas doing it's job?

2) Is there a controller upgrade out there? We have plenty of PC
computers and expertice around, we just need a good starting point.

3) If we were to sell it, what kind of money would it be worth? We
would be OK with putting it up on e-bay but I need a starting point to
get the approvals. Location is St. Paul, Minnesota.

I can post some pictures and give an unmunged e-mail address if someone
has a special interest.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

RoyJ wrote:

[...]

Could you hire a kid to write a conversion
program to accept G-code and output programming
commands?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

We run prototypes for various researchers who do a lot of their own
machine work. We need something that is simple to use, simple to train
in, doesn't require a lot of interface tricks.

Jim Stewart wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roy,

Better make room and pay someone (me!) to haul it away!

Fact is it can be converted to run off a PC using G-code or DXF files.
But it takes time and money to figure out the way to go; hence it is
more suited for the serious hobbyist.

Can you list the X Y Z traverse lengths?

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

XYZ is 8"x6"x7" high speed spindle, machine is tight. Pretty much tells
you what kind of parts it likes. It would great for the guy making
and/or selling steam engine kits. For the hobbyist, the machine is
complete with tooling and working software.

What I'm wondering about is what kind of PC software is out there. I
suspect (would like to have it confirmed) is that the I/F should be
straight forward. Drive cards and servos are already there.

wrote:

Roy,

Better make room and pay someone (me!) to haul it away!

Fact is it can be converted to run off a PC using G-code or DXF files.
But it takes time and money to figure out the way to go; hence it is
more suited for the serious hobbyist.

Can you list the X Y Z traverse lengths?

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

My first though would be to use EMC and Linux.
see http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/projects...emc_links.html
and about 100,000 more

Interface options
http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/moto...ontrollers.htm
http://cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=67
and a whol bunch more

wrote:

Roy,

Better make room and pay someone (me!) to haul it away!

Fact is it can be converted to run off a PC using G-code or DXF files.
But it takes time and money to figure out the way to go; hence it is
more suited for the serious hobbyist.

Can you list the X Y Z traverse lengths?

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

I seem to think that Ah Ha has a retrofit for that mill.

If you look into it, you will probably find your dyna does not have
servos, it has steppers. I would pull that ridiculous dyna language
speaking controller off of it, pull out the crappy stepper motors and
spend 2 or 3 grand on a Mach2 and servo retrofit. Look at
lowcostcncretrofits.com

This isn't a hobby for fun, this is business right? Don't try to make
use of the old cards or motors. They're not worth much and you'd waste
a lot of time and effort. Go with a turn key system.

RoyJ wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--It may be non-standard but once you get the hang of it, it ain't
too bad. The real problem is the company is on the skids and has been for a
loooong time; ever since the lawsuit in fact, heh.
--One site you might want to check out is:
http://www.desktopcnc.com/mill_table.htm
...which has a dandy table that compares the features of all known
small cnc mills.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Are you prepared to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obey the Noodly Master??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce Woodbury

We had one of those in our department as well- same issues with the
controller- We bought a new Shopmaster CNC unit which has a nice G code
controller. Later, we shipped the Dyna Mite back to Shopmaster and they
retrofitted it with their controller, so now both machines are compatible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Yeah. IIRC they were sued by Fanuc for pirating their controller
design. Seems to me Dyna lost a bundle in the end; it was about then that
the company turned from the kind of outfit you'd expect to the weird thing
it is now; i.e. call 'em on the phone some time: one gal answers the phone
but she no speaka-da-English very well. Nobody else is available when you
ask to talk to other folks. I think it's just her in a big empty building.
Last update on their website was back in '02 according to their own site.