Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Block retaining wall project question

I have a space between my cabin and the sloping hill behind that is about
three feet wide. I want to put up a retaining wall that will be about four
feet high. Behind that, I will fill in an approximately 3' x 3' x square
root of 27' wedge of fill dirt to come to the top of the wall. I can put
block returns on at the ends, and a couple of places along the run to give
it extra stability and support. There won't be a lot of pressure on it from
the hill, as there will be no traffic, and the existing hillside has
compacted for thousands of years now. Just some pressure from the fill.

How should I do the footer? How deep, and what, about one course down from
ground level? Lots of rebar both horizontal and vertical? Grout solid?

Oh, yes, this will all have to be done with a mixer and bag cement, as there
is no cement delivery where my cabin is.

Input, please.

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

I have a space between my cabin and the sloping hill behind that is about
three feet wide. I want to put up a retaining wall that will be about four
feet high. Behind that, I will fill in an approximately 3' x 3' x square
root of 27' wedge of fill dirt to come to the top of the wall...

How about tying old tires together with synthetic rope, parallel to the ground?

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:48:05 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Is the hill going up, or down behind the cabin?
Is the property line or another boundary close
enough to be a factor? If so, how close?
What climate conditions are typical for the
area? What's the approximate slope of the hill?
Is there a way to get a vehical behind the
cabin on the far side of the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

If you use block you will need a footing. Block is not that great as a
retaining wall.
What is easier and stronger is the dry stack blocks made to be used for
retaining walls. They are 12" thick and interlock with a set back on each
course. No footing just a level trench of stone to set them on. No mixing
mortar/concrete at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

retaining walls always fall down given enough time, slope the hill and
plant ground cover unless you really want to rebuild wall for rest of
your life.