Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun calhoun is offline

Default Block retaining wall project question

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have a space between my cabin and the sloping hill behind that is about
three feet wide. I want to put up a retaining wall that will be about four
feet high. Behind that, I will fill in an approximately 3' x 3' x square
root of 27' wedge of fill dirt to come to the top of the wall. I can put
block returns on at the ends, and a couple of places along the run to give
it extra stability and support. There won't be a lot of pressure on it
from the hill, as there will be no traffic, and the existing hillside has
compacted for thousands of years now. Just some pressure from the fill.

How should I do the footer? How deep, and what, about one course down
from ground level? Lots of rebar both horizontal and vertical? Grout
solid?

Oh, yes, this will all have to be done with a mixer and bag cement, as
there is no cement delivery where my cabin is.

Input, please.

TIA

Steve

If you use block you will need a footing. Block is not that great as a
retaining wall.
What is easier and stronger is the dry stack blocks made to be used for
retaining walls. They are 12" thick and interlock with a set back on each
course. No footing just a level trench of stone to set them on. No mixing
mortar/concrete at all.