Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multiple Conduits in Trench - Power, Water, Septic?

We are in the Process of putting in a new Septic Tank and we have an 8"
trench from the house to the Tank, then to the Leachfield.

The Tank needs to pump the effluent to the leachfield, so I'll need power
for the Pump and Of Course I have the 4" ABS Sewer pipe.

While we have the Trench there I wanted to put in a Irrigation Tank in the
Back 40 while its all open. It would need a 1.25' Water Supply and the Power
and Control Lines for it.

So in the one trench form the house to the tank I'd have:
4" ABS
High-voltage For the Irrigation Pump
High-voltage For the Sump Effluent Pump
Low Voltage for the Irrigation Tank Water Levels
1.25" Water Supply for the Tank.

The Trench is 3' Deep and I only need 2' to get my Drop for the Sewer line
to the Tank.

So my Questions a

Can and Should I put all of the above conduits in the Same Trench?
What Order should I put them? Seems like the Electricity should be the one
on the bottom, High Voltage, Low Voltage, Sewer, then water.

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:

[...]

The trench should be wide enough so that the various conduits can be
placed side by side, not on top of each other so that they can be
accessed individually if needed. Since you do not have any high voltage
lines (120/240V is not high voltage) there is no concern about conduit
separation for anything other than serviceability.

All conduits should be at their required burial depth or deeper. In your
case the power line should be 18" or deeper and the water and sewer
lines should be deep enough to avoid any freezing issues. The power line
should have proper warning tape installed at least 12" above the
conduit.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

With the 4" ABS line, I don't think there is enough room to put them all
Side by side. So if I put the Electrical on the Bottom and the ABS and
Water Side by side I know I'll have accessibility Issues, but would that
pass an inspection??

Since I need 120 for the Sump and 240 for the Irrigation pump, can I run
them both in the Same Conduit? Should I just run the 240 out and then Put in
a breaker at the Sump Control and tap off for the 120 and 240?

Thanks!

"Pete C." wrote in message
Scott Townsend wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:

With the 4" ABS line, I don't think there is enough room to put them all
Side by side. So if I put the Electrical on the Bottom and the ABS and
Water Side by side I know I'll have accessibility Issues, but would that
pass an inspection??

If inspection is involved, ask the inspector first.

Personally I'd make the trench wider, but with conduit you rarely need
to access it again since you can pull wires through it. Also the power
and low voltage lines need to be in separate conduits.

Since I need 120 for the Sump and 240 for the Irrigation pump, can I run
them both in the Same Conduit? Should I just run the 240 out and then Put in
a breaker at the Sump Control and tap off for the 120 and 240?

Use large enough conduit and run multiple circuits out, one circuit for
the sump pump and another for the irrigation pump. There is no
restriction on running multiple circuits sourced from the same panel in
one conduit, just conduit fill percentage limitations.

Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in message
Scott Townsend wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Guys!

Wanted to run it by you all before I asked the Inspector just to be sure
that its not too wacky of an Idea!

Thanks again!

"Pete C." wrote in message
Scott Townsend wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many inspectors will not allow potable water and sanitary in the
same ditch or may require a minimum horizontal separation distance
often with a vertical separation with the potable on an
undisturbed ledge. AHJ always wins. I don't think any will allow
placing them all in a trencher ditch, 2 foot or more backhoe
bucket would be more normal.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Scott Townsend" wrote in
message .com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I spoke with one of the Plan Check Engineers and they said that all was
okay.

Electric on the Bottom, Septic and Water on the top. Made sure he knew it
was an 8" wide Trench.

Thanks again.