Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Knob-and-Tube *Always* Dangerous?

iF INSURANCE required k&t removal and the homeowner cheats by just
replacing the exposed wiring leaving K&T thru the less accessible areas
and a fire occurs expect insurance to disown you...........

one of the troubles with K&T is that you cant easily examine the sloder
joints since they are buried in the walls....

wiuth no boxes

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Knob-and-Tube *Always* Dangerous? OT & holler butt crap

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Tom Horne, Electrician :

The controls for the electric blanket will not handle DC. Switching for
DC loads must be much more robust then that for AC.

Depends on how the controls work. I thought they were (still)
usually variable resistors with thermal cutoffs to act as
cutoff timers. That'd work just as well on DC.

If, on the other hand, they're using SCRs or Triacs and the like,
you'd have to change the controller.

No matter what the control is the actual switching contacts will be
damaged if DC is applied to them because of arcing at the contacts. So
unless you are talking about a variable resister that never applies full
voltage to a cold circuit the control contacts will destroy them selves.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to z :

Chris Lewis wrote:

GFCIs on circuits without grounds is in fact NEC and CEC approved.

Now you tell me, after I had to sneak around at night running ground
wires all over the basement of my apartment building from the waterpipe
clamp at one end to the GFCIs I installed in my first floor knob and
tube wired apartment.

It isn't exactly a secret. It's probably mentioned on this group
several times a week.

What else do you guys know that you aren't telling me?

How many months do you have?

Buy a wiring book, or read the electrical wiring FAQ (google for it).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

wrote:
My wife likes to imply that MY knob is dangerous !!!!

Does it have a tendency to melt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Tom Horne, Electrician :

The controls for the electric blanket will not handle DC. Switching for
DC loads must be much more robust then that for AC.

Depends on how the controls work. I thought they were (still)
usually variable resistors with thermal cutoffs to act as
cutoff timers. That'd work just as well on DC.

If, on the other hand, they're using SCRs or Triacs and the like,
you'd have to change the controller.

No matter what the control is the actual switching contacts will be
damaged if DC is applied to them because of arcing at the contacts. So
unless you are talking about a variable resister that never applies full
voltage to a cold circuit the control contacts will destroy them selves.

Point taken - if it uses mechanical switching. However, the wattage of
these devices is quite low, and it wouldn't be surprising to me to
find that the contacts are sufficient for such current levels with
both AC and DC.

Yes, DC is harder on switch contacts than AC. But at these power
levels, it's not that big a difference.

Of course, it voids the UL/CSA approval (unless explicitly stated
otherwise) it's probably best to not try it anyway. People tend
to get rather intimate with their heating blankets, so problems
tend to have nastier consequences.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

My wife likes to imply that MY knob is dangerous !!!!

A legend in your own mind....
--
Tekkie