Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Insulation HELP

In Brief:
1920's house
No insulation
Knob and Tube wiring
______________________

I have 2 whirly gigs, and gable vents on both ends. The house is 1100
sq ft.
Knob and tub goes to my light fixtures. All of my outlets are romex
wired from the bottom of the house.

I'm trying to avoid having to mess with the wiring. That being said, I
dont think its very effecient to put Batts in the attic ceiling. I've
looked at some reflective barriers stapled along the bottom edge of the
roof rafters. Then adding some soffit vents along with a gable fan to
blow the heat out when it gets to the top of the reflective insulation.

Would this be worth it, or should I just put some cellulose batts on
the attic floor, and not go over the knob and tube.

Any ideas on the biggest bang for my buck.

FYI- I live in southern california

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
In Brief:
1920's house
No insulation
Knob and Tube wiring
______________________

I have 2 whirly gigs, and gable vents on both ends. The house is 1100
sq ft.
Knob and tub goes to my light fixtures. All of my outlets are romex
wired from the bottom of the house.

I'm trying to avoid having to mess with the wiring. That being said, I
dont think its very effecient to put Batts in the attic ceiling. I've
looked at some reflective barriers stapled along the bottom edge of the
roof rafters. Then adding some soffit vents along with a gable fan to
blow the heat out when it gets to the top of the reflective insulation.

Would this be worth it, or should I just put some cellulose batts on
the attic floor, and not go over the knob and tube.

Any ideas on the biggest bang for my buck.

Replace the knob and tube first. You'll have to at some time -
insurance companies are starting to cancel policies on houses
with knob and tube wiring. Do not insulate over knob and tube.
Then add the soffit vents and ridge vents or some kind of high
roof vents. It is much easier to add soffit vents before the insulation.
Then lay down batts. You'll be amazed at the difference.
Forget the reflective barrier on the rafters, unless you like cooking
your roofing.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Bob wrote:
snip
Forget the reflective barrier on the rafters, unless you like cooking
your roofing.

Bob

I've read that, but suspect it's an urban legend. Can you provide
data?