Default attic insulation

Tell me I'm dreaming, but I wish there was some way I could insulate my
attic and leave the old studs exposed, as well as brace boards around
the windows that extend into the room that would make sheet rocking
difficult.
The house is over 100 years old and I like the look of bare studs,
however, I want to use the attic as a spare bedroom on occassion and
question wheather exposed insulation is healthy? Would it create dust?
I would like to think somewhere there is something more finished that
could be put between the studs. I live in a simi-mild climate so it
wouldn't take much. I don't want to spray anything because I don't
want to empty my attic to do the work!
Any ideas?
Itching to get Started

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell me I'm dreaming, but I wish there was some way I could insulate my
attic and leave the old studs exposed, as well as brace boards around
the windows that extend into the room that would make sheet rocking
difficult.
The house is over 100 years old and I like the look of bare studs,
however, I want to use the attic as a spare bedroom on occassion and
question wheather exposed insulation is healthy? Would it create dust?

What type of insulation? Fiberglass could give off some dust, but probably
not a big deal. I'd be more concerned about getting dust on the insulation
myself.

Foam insulation would not give off dust, but it would collect it. Even
though it is a fire retardant material, code requires it to be covered with
sheetrock anyway.

The foil backed insulation is probably the best from a dust POV, but it sure
would not look as nice as anything else.

To get the look you want, I'd consider putting is some rigid foam insulation
and then putting panels of sheetrock over it, but just between the studs.
It would stay put with some construction adhesive, can be painted and still
be thick enough to provide good insulating value. If the stud if 4", I'd
put 2 1/2" of foam, 1/2" of sheetrock, then leave the rest exposed.

It's more work than the usual gypsum board application, but one can cut
panels to fit between the memebers. We did that in our basement and get
positive comments on the appearance.
TB

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote:

...I wish there was some way I could insulate my attic and leave
the old studs exposed...

The foil backed insulation is probably the best from a dust POV, but it sure
would not look as nice as anything else.

One might spray paint it before installation...

To get the look you want, I'd consider putting is some rigid foam insulation
and then putting panels of sheetrock over it...

And skip the sheetrock.

Nick

Goedjn

The house is over 100 years old and I like the look of bare studs,
however, I want to use the attic as a spare bedroom on occassion and
question wheather exposed insulation is healthy? Would it create dust?
I would like to think somewhere there is something more finished that
could be put between the studs. I live in a simi-mild climate so it
wouldn't take much. I don't want to spray anything because I don't
want to empty my attic to do the work!
Any ideas?
Itching to get Started

Take off all your shingles, put down 6 inches of foam, cover that
with a layer of self-vented decking, and re-shingle.