Default attic insulation

Tell me I'm dreaming, but I wish there was some way I could insulate my
attic and leave the old studs exposed, as well as brace boards around
the windows that extend into the room that would make sheet rocking
difficult.
The house is over 100 years old and I like the look of bare studs,
however, I want to use the attic as a spare bedroom on occassion and
question wheather exposed insulation is healthy? Would it create dust?
I would like to think somewhere there is something more finished that
could be put between the studs. I live in a simi-mild climate so it
wouldn't take much. I don't want to spray anything because I don't
want to empty my attic to do the work!
Any ideas?
Itching to get Started