Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rug mat markings on hardwood floor

We rearranged the furniture and decided to take up the oriental rug and
mat underneath it from the hardwood floor in our apartment. It has been
in place almost exactly one year. We bought the mat at a locally
owned/now defunct home improvement store, label said it was for putting
an area rug on the floor (as opposed to over carpeting) - can't recall
exactly whether it said for hardwood floor or not, I assume it would
have or we likely would not have bought it. I also remember the clerk in
the store pointing it out to us as being what we were looking for, not
that that always means you're getting the right thing. Anyway, pulled it
up yesterday and the pattern of the mat is visible on the floor. It was
a sort of thick foamy mat with a three dimensional texture to it, and
has left a sort of honeycomb type of pattern on the floor. Any ideas on
removing it? We should be closing on a house before the end of the
summer and I'd like to get the deposit back!

-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:
[...]

Someone may have a some better ideas, but here are mine.

First test any idea you plan on using in a small out of the way spot.

Basic floor cleaner
Basic floor polish
Basic floor wax
Very fine steel wool. You may need a floor machine if it is a big area,
so see the test second line above.
Refinish the floor.

Since you don't know what kind of finish is now on the floor using
various solvents could be a problem. They may work well, but as above see
the test second line above

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit