J. Anthony Crumpton

Default Hardwood floor installation - poor workmanship?

Last week my partner and I had a highly recommended contractor install
a hardwood floor consisting of ~1000 sq. ft. of 3 1/4" solid bloodwood
from Bellawood. The wood is absolutely beautiful, but its hardness
apparently makes it a pain both saw and nail down.

Here's my question: In places where the rows approach the walls and
the hardwood floor nailer can't be used, is it acceptable to simply
nail the boards in place with a hammer and nail punch without first
drilling? In several places its very evident where the nails went in,
and the spots surrounding the nails, although clearly not caused by
the hammer, are much larger than the nail head (sometimes 1/4" dents)
and do not look, well, professional. The installer blamed it on the
hardness of the wood. Is this a commonly accepted practice?

Thanks!
m Ransley

If the finished job doesnt look good then its the instaler. Didnt he
nail on the sides of the boards.

dadiOH

J. Anthony Crumpton wrote:

Here's my question: In places where the rows approach the walls and
the hardwood floor nailer can't be used, is it acceptable to simply
nail the boards in place with a hammer and nail punch without first
drilling?

Sure. That's the norm. Face nailing there is the only way to fasten it.
Unless you countersink a hole, screw it down and glue in a plug of the same
wood. Which I think is much, much nicer.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Edwin Pawlowski

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Sure. That's the norm. Face nailing there is the only way to fasten it.
Unless you countersink a hole, screw it down and glue in a plug of the

same
wood. Which I think is much, much nicer.

Correct, but in this case, he should have made a starter hole. Or maybe a
nail gun that would set them properly. Proper method with sloppy execution.
Ed

Noel

J. Anthony Crumpton wrote in message . ..
Last week my partner and I had a highly recommended contractor install
a hardwood floor consisting of ~1000 sq. ft. of 3 1/4" solid bloodwood
from Bellawood. The wood is absolutely beautiful, but its hardness
apparently makes it a pain both saw and nail down.

Here's my question: In places where the rows approach the walls and
the hardwood floor nailer can't be used, is it acceptable to simply
nail the boards in place with a hammer and nail punch without first
drilling? In several places its very evident where the nails went in,
and the spots surrounding the nails, although clearly not caused by
the hammer, are much larger than the nail head (sometimes 1/4" dents)
and do not look, well, professional. The installer blamed it on the
hardness of the wood. Is this a commonly accepted practice?

Thanks!

NO. Only the beginning row and last row are face nailed. If you cannot
use the floor nailer you must pre drill holes and manually nail
through the tongue with finish nails(tough ones like meza not the ones
used for baseboard). The tongue will split if you don't pre drill with
such hard wood. He should have used finish nails for the face and a
punch to drive them into the wood leaving a very tiny hole which is
covered with wood putty. There should be no dents whatsoever..

Noel