Bob A. Booey

Default Hardwood floor question

My brother and I just restored the hardwood floor in a home I recently
bought. Stripped old finish to wood, proper sanding, applied three
coats of Minwax Super-Fast Drying Gloss polyurethane. Let each coat sit
for 24 hours, lightly sanded using electric hand sander with 220-grit
between each coat, vacuumed & tacked floor properly after each light
sanding.

Problem: After applying a third and final coat, and letting it sit for
24 hours, we discovered some small, irregularly shaped patches (largest
maybe 6-inches x 3-inches) in a few places (maybe 5 or 6 spots) that we
apparently missed when putting down the final coat (final coat was
applied two days ago, and floors have been left alone since). What is
the proper way to deal with these spots? Can they be touched up? Should
they be left as-is? Should an additional coat be applied to the entire
floor?

Of course, even if we apply another coat (which we *really* don't want
to do), we could very well end up with the same problem. If another
coat is advisable, any tips on how to best avoid patches like this in
the future? We were using 500-watt halogen worklights, and felt that we
had adequate lighting for the job, but we didn't notice the missed
patches despite the lighting.

A lesser concern: we also have noticed a section of floor where the
polyurthane looks especially thick, as though it pooled a bit, and now
has a slightly raised, wavy edge on one side (about 12"-18" in length).
The area where it is located will likely be covered by an area rug, so
I'm not too concerned, but, for posterity's sake, I'd like to know how
to deal with it, in case I choose to do so.

Just trying to get some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

tweaked

Bob A. Booey wrote in

A lesser concern: we also have noticed a section of floor where the
polyurthane looks especially thick, as though it pooled a bit, and now
has a slightly raised, wavy edge on one side (about 12"-18" in length).
The area where it is located will likely be covered by an area rug, so
I'm not too concerned, but, for posterity's sake, I'd like to know how
to deal with it, in case I choose to do so.

Floor mans best friend is a sharp scraper. You can scrape the area
carefully and recoatfor sheen(or polish but that requires more advice)

Maybe better is to use a safety razor blade and pull it towards you in a
scraping motion. It will peel finish. The finish should be cured for this
technique though.