Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Staining Douglas Fir Doors

We just had some new custom Douglas Fir doors installed which need to be
finished. Can anyone help me on the steps and procedures I need to go
through and stain/seal the doors properly? Thanks.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave Combs" wrote in message
We just had some new custom Douglas Fir doors installed which need to be
finished. Can anyone help me on the steps and procedures I need to go
through and stain/seal the doors properly? Thanks.

Dave

Stain conditioner
Stain
Finish (polyurethane, shellac, lacquer)

What do you want to achieve exactly? Fir can be blotchy so it needs a
pre-conditioner or a spit coat of shellac to seal it before staining.

Do a little reading here http://www.zinsser.com/WoodfinishingProjects.asp
and http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=3

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bix Pre Stain or a custom mix of shellac is a must for the first coat
or it will look like junk when stained. First look for any scratches ,
sand with the grain carefully with 120-220. Pre stain then stain, if
it is exterior use a Marine poly on the outside side. Finish with 3-7
coats, sanding takes an understanding of the finish to not ruin it by
cutting through to the stain and using usualy 280-320g, but the big
sanding is before the last coat to get it smooth . Use a Tack cloth
inbetween to clean and dont varnish if the sun is going to hit or on a
hot door. Doors are realy for a real pro to get them done right. They
take time and alot of experiance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you gentlemen! Now I've got to decide whether I'm a man or a mouse.

Dave

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Bix Pre Stain or a custom mix of shellac is a must for the first coat
or it will look like junk when stained. First look for any scratches ,
sand with the grain carefully with 120-220. Pre stain then stain, if
it is exterior use a Marine poly on the outside side. Finish with 3-7
coats, sanding takes an understanding of the finish to not ruin it by
cutting through to the stain and using usualy 280-320g, but the big
sanding is before the last coat to get it smooth . Use a Tack cloth
inbetween to clean and dont varnish if the sun is going to hit or on a
hot door. Doors are realy for a real pro to get them done right. They
take time and alot of experiance.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Staining Knotted pine doors anon UK diy 21 September 6th 04 09:05 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM