Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Combs Dave Combs is offline

Default Staining Douglas Fir Doors

Thank you gentlemen! Now I've got to decide whether I'm a man or a mouse.

Dave

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Bix Pre Stain or a custom mix of shellac is a must for the first coat
or it will look like junk when stained. First look for any scratches ,
sand with the grain carefully with 120-220. Pre stain then stain, if
it is exterior use a Marine poly on the outside side. Finish with 3-7
coats, sanding takes an understanding of the finish to not ruin it by
cutting through to the stain and using usualy 280-320g, but the big
sanding is before the last coat to get it smooth . Use a Tack cloth
inbetween to clean and dont varnish if the sun is going to hit or on a
hot door. Doors are realy for a real pro to get them done right. They
take time and alot of experiance.