Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dehumidifier running hot

Hi--
One of my dehumidifiers, a Sears model that's about 10 years old, gets
very hot when it runs. I believe it's the fan motor, not the compressor
motor, that heats up. The plug gets hot as well. I've oiled the motor,
but that had no effect. The humidifier functions fine, but it
definitely gets hotter than it should. Any ideas on what could be
causing this, and what I could do about it?
Thanks in advance...
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--
One of my dehumidifiers, a Sears model that's about 10 years old, gets
very hot when it runs. I believe it's the fan motor, not the compressor
motor, that heats up. The plug gets hot as well. I've oiled the motor,
but that had no effect. The humidifier functions fine, but it
definitely gets hotter than it should. Any ideas on what could be
causing this, and what I could do about it?
Thanks in advance...
Eric

I had the same problem with a sears dehumidifier that had a moulded plug on
the cord. I replaced the plug with a heavy duty one and the plug quit
getting hot. The dehumidifier still runs hot though.

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Old_Boat wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--
One of my dehumidifiers, a Sears model that's about 10 years old, gets
very hot when it runs. I believe it's the fan motor, not the compressor
motor, that heats up.

Does the fan spin freely?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--
One of my dehumidifiers, a Sears model that's about 10 years old, gets
very hot when it runs. I believe it's the fan motor, not the compressor
motor, that heats up. The plug gets hot as well. I've oiled the motor,
but that had no effect.

The fan motor may be on the way out. Possible the bearings are beyond what
oil can do for them. That can make a motor run hot, pull more amp, making
the plug hot, and increase your electric bill also. Check out the cost of a
fan motor versus a new humidifier. With the unit unplugged, spin the fan.
if you have any resistance, it is time for a new motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put an amp meter on it it could be the compressor or fan motor is worn,
new units also use alot less energy