Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dehumidifier running hot

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--
One of my dehumidifiers, a Sears model that's about 10 years old, gets
very hot when it runs. I believe it's the fan motor, not the compressor
motor, that heats up. The plug gets hot as well. I've oiled the motor,
but that had no effect.

The fan motor may be on the way out. Possible the bearings are beyond what
oil can do for them. That can make a motor run hot, pull more amp, making
the plug hot, and increase your electric bill also. Check out the cost of a
fan motor versus a new humidifier. With the unit unplugged, spin the fan.
if you have any resistance, it is time for a new motor.