Posted to alt.home.repair

Default best trouble light

What the best trouble light? I'm looking for one that can handle a
100-watt incandescent bulb with at least a 15-foot cord and electrical
outlet in the handle. I've checked BORG, Lowes, Harbour Freight and
WalMart so far. Must I buy "Made in China?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

I got one at Advance Auto, about 9 watts fluorescent. with socket in
the handle. About ten bucks, was a year or so when I got it. Worked
nicely since then.

If you want a longer cord, splice it.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
What the best trouble light? I'm looking for one that can handle a
100-watt incandescent bulb with at least a 15-foot cord and electrical
outlet in the handle. I've checked BORG, Lowes, Harbour Freight and
WalMart so far. Must I buy "Made in China?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

100 watts will get very hot. You'll need a metal cover and that will burn
you if you touch it.

Don't buy one with an orange plastic cover as the light penetrates it and it
glares into your eyes.

If you can, go with a fluorescent with a plug at the end. A 15' cord is
very short. Go with a 25'.

Paul.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
What the best trouble light? I'm looking for one that can handle a
100-watt incandescent bulb with at least a 15-foot cord and electrical
outlet in the handle. I've checked BORG, Lowes, Harbour Freight and
WalMart so far. Must I buy "Made in China?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just use a regular droplight and use a screw-in flourescent buld in
it. The light is not nearly as bright as a 100 watt, but it produces
almost no heat. Not only did I get tired of burning my arms and anything
else that touches the light, I got tired of blowing bulbs when a drop of
sweat, or water touches the bulb. The flourescent bulbs are about the
same cost as the rough service bulbs made for droplights, but in my
experience are even more rugged. The only ones I have had fail were when
I dropped or banged the light hard enough to actually break the bulb.
Another thing I have found: if you do not want to use a flourescent
bulb, use a ceiling fan bulb. They are made to stand the vibration from
a fan, and will last at least as long as a rough service bulb at a
fraction of the price.(though I think 60 watt is the max) Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

i been using a 12 volt droplight alot.just use the clamps on the cord
to hook to battery. not as bright as 110v but goes anywhere , dont blind
me and doesnt get hot. got a incandesent 110v at walmart for 20.00 ,man
that thing is bright , itl blind you though if it faces you.my buddy
bought it cause he dont like the 12v one..lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:12:27 -0700, "Paul."
wrote:

100 watts will get very hot. You'll need a metal cover and that will burn
you if you touch it.

Don't buy one with an orange plastic cover as the light penetrates it and it
glares into your eyes.

If you can, go with a fluorescent with a plug at the end. A 15' cord is
very short. Go with a 25'.

Paul.

I restore Cars as a hobby... and have two lifts in the garage ...so I
do have a need for trouble lights, and I use them...

I will NEVER buy another Fluorescent "terrible" light... have had 2-3
over the years and none worked all thay well... especially in the cold
and they always end up blinking and becomming slow to start...PLUS the
darn replacement bulbs are two expensive and when the last one gives
out You can not "borrow" the light bulb out of the kitchen...

I get plenty of light using regular 40 or sometimes 60 watt bulbs in a
regular trouble light... 40 is my preference (even though I am in my
60's and can see worth a darn without glasses) 40 watt bulbs give out
plenty of light... 100 watt bulbs are both way too bright and way too
hot...

Cords...well here I agree with More (longer) is better...BUT honestly
I have no need for the handle having a socket in it... what for? so I
can plug in a radio? Trouble lights are not meant to be used as
extension cords...

Just my opinion..

Bob G. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have begun to use a 60 or 100W (effective) CFL spiral bulb in mine.
It seems to work quite well. They are much cooler, seem to be shock
resistant, and have good brightness. --Phil

Phisherman wrote:

What the best trouble light? I'm looking for one that can handle a
100-watt incandescent bulb with at least a 15-foot cord and electrical
outlet in the handle. I've checked BORG, Lowes, Harbour Freight and
WalMart so far. Must I buy "Made in China?"

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 22:29:09 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

What the best trouble light? I'm looking for one that can handle a
100-watt incandescent bulb with at least a 15-foot cord and electrical
outlet in the handle. I've checked BORG, Lowes, Harbour Freight and
WalMart so far. Must I buy "Made in China?"

No matter the brand, or place of manufacture, or where you buy them,
they are ALL TROUBLE !!!
I would like to find a TROUBLELESS LIGHT !!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
i been using a 12 volt droplight alot.just use the clamps on the cord
to hook to battery. not as bright as 110v but goes anywhere , dont blind
me and doesnt get hot. got a incandesent 110v at walmart for 20.00 ,man
that thing is bright , itl blind you though if it faces you.my buddy
bought it cause he dont like the 12v one..lucas

I stumbled across an item that I really like. It's a LED headlamp.
Picked it up as WalMart for about 15.00. Very bright, follows your eyes
and uses 3 triple A batteries that last a long time. Also adjustable in
brightness and location, (ratchets up and down).

Its the Energizer model HDL33A2