Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to repair/replace hardwood flooring plank?

I have beautiful engineered hardwood planking in several rooms (3/8"x3"
random planks, glued directly to the concrete slab.

The termite people drilled a number of 9/16" holes through the wood and the
concrete in order to get at the termites.

That leaves me with 6 ragged holes in 2 planks. What is the best way of
repairing or replacing a section of one plank? My efforts have made it
worse, rather than better. Any websites? I could not find anything helpful
on the Web.

The problem is the frazzled nature of the holes and how to get a reasonable
finish match.

Any ideas? Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would just replace the entire plank. this is very easy to do... First
you must make a cut around the entire perimiter of the plank you are
going to replace being that it is on conrete be sure to set the bade
guide as to not go through to the concrete. What you are trying to
acomplish is breaking the bond with the other 4 boards surrounding this
one so you can remove it. After making these cuts (all the way to the
very edge of the other boards) make several cuts in the "field" of the
board and starting small remove the wood and adheasive. Remember go
SLOW because you do not want to damage the other boards. After this
is removed clean the area and make sure that the toung is removed from
the surrounding boards and also from the new piece you are going to
install. Check the fit of this board several times to make sure the
gaps match the existing floring. then simply re apply the adheasive and
place the new piece in the hole.....
Walter R. wrote:
I have beautiful engineered hardwood planking in several rooms (3/8"x3"
random planks, glued directly to the concrete slab.

The termite people drilled a number of 9/16" holes through the wood and the
concrete in order to get at the termites.

That leaves me with 6 ragged holes in 2 planks. What is the best way of
repairing or replacing a section of one plank? My efforts have made it
worse, rather than better. Any websites? I could not find anything helpful
on the Web.

The problem is the frazzled nature of the holes and how to get a reasonable
finish match.

Any ideas? Thanks

--
Walter