Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating un-climate controlled areas

I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I
don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would
insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs
with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going
from around 10 feet down to 8'1/2" or so.

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see
the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the
insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop
hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be
able to see a difference?

Thanks,
Nathan

Posted to alt.home.repair

nhurst wrote:
I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I
don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would
insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs
with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going
from around 10 feet down to 8'1/2" or so.

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see
the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the
insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop
hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be
able to see a difference?

Thanks,
Nathan

Hi,
If you insulate, inside shop temp. will be more stable.
How about cooler in summer, warmer in winter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

nhurst wrote:
I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I
don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would
insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs
with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going
from around 10 feet down to 8'1/2" or so.

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see
the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the
insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop
hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be
able to see a difference?

Thanks,
Nathan

it will SLOW DOWN the changes in indoor temp but if it is 90 outside,
it will get to 90 or more inside eventually, the insulation slows down
the flow of heat but cannont stop it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
nhurst wrote:

I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I
don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would
insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs
with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going

Rapid changes in temp will cause condensation on your 'stuff' insulation
will slow it down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nhurst wrote:
I've got a workshop with no heater or AC (I'm in North Florida, so I
don't NEED either), with fairly heavy shade year round. Would
insulating the walls do anything useful? Currently it's exposed studs
with T1-11 exterior and windows on 3 sides, with a sloped roof going
from around 10 feet down to 8'1/2" or so.

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see
the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the
insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop
hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be
able to see a difference?

Thanks,
Nathan

With some active participation, it can be very useful, e.g.:
during cool part of day, let air in at one end & exhaust with fan at
other extreme
once outside temp up to inside temp, close all ventilation until
evening.

Scheme works very well with large part of house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW My shop is in a loft over a garage just north of Philadelphia.
It is heavily insulated so I can heat it in the winter. Without any
heat or air conditioning and with the windows shut its temp stabilizes
at about the average of the day plus the night temperature. 90 day and
70 night means about 80 in the next afternoon. For the winter with
lights and motors the insulation makes it comfortable. For a long warm
summer I work there in the mornings.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"nhurst" wrote in message

My Father in law keeps insisting I insulate the place, but I don't see
the utility, since there is nothing inside the workshop for the
insulation to work on. Would it pretty much only make the workshop
hotter in the summer and warmer in the winter, or would I actually be
able to see a difference?

It will help, but not make a major difference. When the sun is hitting full
strength, it will temper the heat rise from radiation, but not help the hot
air coming in the door or windows. In the cooler weather, if everything is
closed up, your body heat and heat from lights and motors will be retained a
bit more. A couple of degrees, but not 15 or 20.

I have a similar setup here in New England and insulated last year. In
winter I run heat at times and it helps considerably. In summer, it helps
slightly, not a major factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I insulated my attic, now I dont cool of at night. If summer heat is the
concern it should temper the days increase, but the next morning will be
warmer.