Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do all wells need shock treatments?

My wife is after me again.
This time it is the well.
She thinks we need to shock the well.

From what I have read it is only neccessary if you can see the effects

of bacteria ie. slime in the toilet tank.

Am I right in thinking that if there isn't a problem I shouldn't try to
fix it, or is it true that every well should have chlorine dumped into
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you notice anything different about your water (ie.
taste/coloration)?
I also had a well and we used a local water testing company every year.
They gave us a vial to fill with some simple intstructions. We filled
the vial
and ran the sample over to them. In a week or so we got a report.
If there's nothing wrong with the water then there's no need to do
anything.

wrote:
My wife is after me again.
This time it is the well.
She thinks we need to shock the well.

From what I have read it is only neccessary if you can see the effects

of bacteria ie. slime in the toilet tank.

Am I right in thinking that if there isn't a problem I shouldn't try to
fix it, or is it true that every well should have chlorine dumped into
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Its not going to hurt, though to do it right you should not use the well for
over 24 hours.

We had an issue with our well with coliform and shocked it over 26 times in
a 8 month period. Anywhere from a gallon to 4 gallons of water (we were at
142' deep)

I'd say if you are going away for a few days give it a treatment. Otherwise
only do it if you suspect there is an issue. There are many local labs that
do water testing. The one that shocking will take care of is just the
bacteria test. The Quantitative Bacteria test for us was about $45 at the
local lab. Quantitative told us how much of the bacteria is present. Better
then just a Yah, or Nah. You can get your water fully tested for several
hundred !!

Scott-
wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife is after me again.
This time it is the well.
She thinks we need to shock the well.

From what I have read it is only neccessary if you can see the effects

Window treatments DS Home Repair 20 March 24th 06 10:05 PM
Cutting Automotive Shock Pistons? Donnie Barnes Metalworking 16 November 10th 05 05:23 AM
Troubles with Wells Fargo [email protected] Home Ownership 7 June 7th 05 04:03 PM
Shock Fence Help Stephen Huckaby Home Repair 3 February 3rd 05 10:52 PM
mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???) David Combs Home Repair 16 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM