Stephen Huckaby

Default Shock Fence Help

I tried to put up some shock fence to keep pets in the yard and
to keep other animals from coming into my yard and mateing with
or bothering my pets.

I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe.
This turned out to work extremly poorly. When it rained, I would
find burn marks from the wire, down the pipe to the ground.
Sometimes it would burn through the pipe or wire.
Many times when there was no perceivalbe moisture, I could touch
the PVC fence post and feel a very slight shock ( while standing
on carpet, but if I touched metal, it becase a bad shock.)

If someone can provide suggestions I would appreciate any help or
advice (except on the morality of using shock fence with pets.)

Thanks

G. Morgan

Subject: Shock Fence Help
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Stephen Huckaby = wrote:

I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe.
This turned out to work extremly poorly.

Yep...

That's because the PVC did not provide an insulator to ground. There is a
reason why they sell the insulators with them. Water conducts electricity (and
I don't need a lecture about intrinsic H2O). The insulators will isolate the
water dripping from the path to ground.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
Nick Hull

In article ,
Stephen Huckaby wrote:

I tried to put up some shock fence to keep pets in the yard and
to keep other animals from coming into my yard and mateing with
or bothering my pets.

I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe.
This turned out to work extremly poorly. When it rained, I would
find burn marks from the wire, down the pipe to the ground.
Sometimes it would burn through the pipe or wire.
Many times when there was no perceivalbe moisture, I could touch
the PVC fence post and feel a very slight shock ( while standing
on carpet, but if I touched metal, it becase a bad shock.)

If someone can provide suggestions I would appreciate any help or
advice (except on the morality of using shock fence with pets.)

Thanks

Just go to a farm store and buy regular electric fence posts and
insulators. Much easier to string the wire (use aluminum or
hi-visibility tape/cord with SS wire) amd easier to repair. You can
also use metal posts, much more durable than plastic.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
JerryMouse

Stephen Huckaby wrote:
I tried to put up some shock fence to keep pets in the yard and
to keep other animals from coming into my yard and mateing with
or bothering my pets.

I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe.
This turned out to work extremly poorly. When it rained, I would
find burn marks from the wire, down the pipe to the ground.
Sometimes it would burn through the pipe or wire.
Many times when there was no perceivalbe moisture, I could touch
the PVC fence post and feel a very slight shock ( while standing
on carpet, but if I touched metal, it becase a bad shock.)

If someone can provide suggestions I would appreciate any help or
advice (except on the morality of using shock fence with pets.)

Thanks

IMPORTANT!

Don't pee on the fence!

Excalibur sliding table help needed max Woodworking 8 February 3rd 05 04:09 PM
Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
router fence - precision question igor Woodworking 10 November 18th 04 07:18 AM
Fence Novice Question barry martin Home Repair 1 December 23rd 03 02:22 PM
mold on outdoor concrete-stairs: chlorox vs "shock"(???) David Combs Home Repair 16 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM