Posted to alt.home.repair
Orv Orv is offline

Default Gas Dryer.....Help

I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer..unknown how old.

When setting it to dry it runs right up to the point of stop, but continues
to run (drum turns) and won't stop (The indicator on the dial stays in same
spot).

The other thing is that the dryer fails to heat up. When I start the dryer,
the drum turns, and I hear the clacking of the gas valves, but I don't see
the glow of the igniter. (Not set on fluff or air dry).

Are these problems related to one another?
Any help would be greatly appreciated..
TIA..
-Orv

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes a no-advance timer problem is related to a no-heat problem.
Generally, if the valve does its clacking, then the ignitor is the next
thing to look at. If you know how to use a multimeter, check for
continuity on the ignitor, and replace if open.

Posted to alt.home.repair

probably two different problems. The first sounds like a timer problem
where it has a 'dead' spot where it stops turning, leaving the dryer
running. The second sounds like an igniter problem.

Do some checking on the model number online to see if you can figure the
age. If it's over about 10 years old you're probably better off replacing.
The cost of the repair(s) coupled with the gas savings of a new more
efficient model will pay for it in short order.

. ..