Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior door cutout need priming

Does the cut sheet metal for the lockset need corrosion protection? I assume
the galvanized coating is on the front surface only.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in

Does the cut sheet metal for the lockset need corrosion protection? I
assume the galvanized coating is on the front surface only.

Well it is steel. That will rust if it gets wet/damp. Water shouldn't get
in there but if it does you risk rust dripping out. Trash the door paint.
Sorta makes sense for a warm-fuzzy to put something on it doesn't it? Not
like it's some major thing to put on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in message
Does the cut sheet metal for the lockset need corrosion protection? I

assume
the galvanized coating is on the front surface only.

It can't hurt, especially if the door in question is subject to rain splash
that may run down behind the trim ring. If the door is still in primer, hit
it with a spray can, otherwise just paint the door with the knob assembly
removed. Where did you find a non-predrilled steel door? I haven't seen one
of those in years and years. These days, they all have premade reinforced
spots for the striker and hinges. Or are you adding a deadbolt to a one-hole
door or something?

No, rusty knob holes aren't common, but I have seen streaks dripping down
from the knob area. And I have seen plenty of rusty knob guts- some sort of
rust-preventing spray on the innards before you button it up is a nice touch
for the next guy.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Martik" wrote in message
[...]

It was predrilled but you can see the raw steel edge in the lockset cutout.
I also have a non-predrilled steel door that I'm trying to figure out how to
cut the 2" and 1.5" holes w/o a special $30 holesaw. So far, in practice, it
looks like a 24 tooth metal jigsaw blade with a 1/2" starter hole will work.

Priming cedar trim Norm Dion Home Repair 1 May 15th 06 08:42 PM
? priming drywall mig Home Repair 11 March 3rd 06 02:53 AM
'Priming' old UPS batteries Seri UK diy 49 April 28th 05 06:07 PM
Priming the Water Pump frank Home Repair 21 May 2nd 04 03:12 AM
Priming the Water Pump frank Home Ownership 21 May 2nd 04 03:12 AM