Posted to alt.home.repair
Martik Martik is offline

Default Exterior door cutout need priming

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Martik" wrote in message
Does the cut sheet metal for the lockset need corrosion protection? I

assume
the galvanized coating is on the front surface only.

It can't hurt, especially if the door in question is subject to rain
splash
that may run down behind the trim ring. If the door is still in primer,
hit
it with a spray can, otherwise just paint the door with the knob assembly
removed. Where did you find a non-predrilled steel door? I haven't seen
one
of those in years and years. These days, they all have premade reinforced
spots for the striker and hinges. Or are you adding a deadbolt to a
one-hole
door or something?

No, rusty knob holes aren't common, but I have seen streaks dripping down
from the knob area. And I have seen plenty of rusty knob guts- some sort
of
rust-preventing spray on the innards before you button it up is a nice
touch
for the next guy.

aem sends...

It was predrilled but you can see the raw steel edge in the lockset cutout.
I also have a non-predrilled steel door that I'm trying to figure out how to
cut the 2" and 1.5" holes w/o a special $30 holesaw. So far, in practice, it
looks like a 24 tooth metal jigsaw blade with a 1/2" starter hole will work.