Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mixer Tap

Hi,

Can anyone suggest Mixer Tap for me,

Basically, I am in a rented unit, so dont want to make any major
changes or buy expensive equipment.

I have a Vanity with Two taps, one for cold and one for hot. I would
like to use a single tap for this,
so basically i want something to mix these by connecting to the taps
and have a single tap, so i can get cold and hot together.

not able to find any in hardware shop, can anyone suggest?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

Murali Komakula wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest Mixer Tap for me,

Basically, I am in a rented unit, so dont want to make any major
changes or buy expensive equipment.

I have a Vanity with Two taps, one for cold and one for hot. I would
like to use a single tap for this,
so basically i want something to mix these by connecting to the taps
and have a single tap, so i can get cold and hot together.

not able to find any in hardware shop, can anyone suggest?

thanks

This is what it sounds like you have
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/vintagebasinfaucets.html

It may depend on the spacing between your single taps. If its a standard
size and you have a middle hole you could just replace with a cheap new
faucet.

You may have a situation where you only have 2 holes in your sink. If
that is the case you may need to get more creative.
If one of these would fit it may work
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/lavfaucets3.html

Nothing exists, that I'm aware of, that will connect to your existing
faucets to allow them to blend into one spout.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 17 Jul 2006 16:03:09 +0200, No wrote:

Murali Komakula wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest Mixer Tap for me,

Basically, I am in a rented unit, so dont want to make any major
changes or buy expensive equipment.

I have a Vanity with Two taps, one for cold and one for hot. I would
like to use a single tap for this,
so basically i want something to mix these by connecting to the taps
and have a single tap, so i can get cold and hot together.

not able to find any in hardware shop, can anyone suggest?

You might be able to find it in a downtown hardware store, or a
hardware store in an old n'hood, if there are any left, that continue
to sell things specifically for old buildings. I KNOW there are still
many such places in NYC, but I don't know about any place else.

The building I lived in in college in the late 60's was probably from
the 30's, or late 40's. (Does anyone know when 5200 Woodlawn Ave. in
Chicago was built) maybe earlier than the 20's and it and thousands
and thousands of such units are still in Chicago and still in good
condition. I find it fairly hard to believe that most bathroom sinks
have been changed.

The problem I had is that in this particular building, the hot water
was almost scalding hot, so I wanted to mix it with cold, rather than
mix in IN the sink.

The hardware store in Hyde Park had these things that did so and
worked fine, chrome and adjustable as to width, with rubber seals to
go around the faucets where they entered. But it was expected by the
design that the taps be parallel. Since mine weren't, they toed in,
it kept falling off. The original two faucets were still there. This
was just a mixer, which is what you want, if I understood you
correctly.

So I just turned each of them a little, without using a basin wrench,
and without loosening the nut under the sink. (This meant that without
the mixer, the faucet wouldn't extend quite as far into the sink, but
that didn't bother me then.) Everything was fine for a couple weeks or
a month, when the line started leaking under the sink. It's an
interesting story how I kept damage from occurring, but it would have
been worse if I hadn't been home when it started.

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Thermostatic shower mixer and diverter to bath/showerhead Matthew Barnard UK diy 1 June 22nd 05 10:57 AM
bath/shower mixer taps Riz1 UK diy 2 October 27th 04 09:58 PM
Pre-cancelling mixer products (DAC sample selection) Hobbyist Electronics 1 November 22nd 03 07:34 PM
Advice on which shower mixer? Lee Blaver UK diy 7 July 6th 03 12:39 PM