Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cedar Siding Replacement Cost

Hi,

I need to replace the cedar siding on the west side of my home. The
nails are popping and the cedar is cracking and splitting in multiple
locations. I've received a bid by a contractor that I've used in the
past with good success. His bid includes removal of the old cedar,
installation of the new cedar (primed and back primed as well) and then
painting to match the existing color of the other sides. The approx
sq. foot of the wall is 640 sq.ft and there are no windows or other
openings. We are located in northwest Indiana and the cost is $8000.

Any thoughts on the price. I really like these guys and think that
they do great work but the cost seemed high to me.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply. The wall looks exactly like home plate if that
helps from a description perspective. It is two stories. Your point
about access is a good one, there is some landscaping along that base
that would be problemactic.

I do appreciate your response and thoughts - that helps alot.

Larry
marson wrote:
well i'm not there. it would also depend if it was a rectangular wall
or a gable end wall, and also how the access is. Is this two stories?
but it does sound high. even if two guys spend a week on it at
$50/hour, thats 4 grand labor and cedar should run you around 2 bucks a
square foot.

but then again, many of the problems you read about on this site
probably come from people who have gotten a low bid. so if you are
happy with the contractor and trust him, that is worth a lot.