Posted to alt.home.repair
John Richards

Default Vinyl siding blown off by wind

There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about a
month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl siding
in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding were not
torn, the siding pulled the nails right out. The siding was installed about
2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and labor
defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding coming
loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts were so
high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He says that
my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can anyone refer
me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl siding
specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without coming lose
from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

"John Richards" wrote in message
news
There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about a
month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl siding
in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding were not
torn, the siding pulled the nails right out.

Seems like the material itself did not fail. So did the contractor nail it
properly? A roofing nail every 16" of the correct length? Do you have
insurance? If so I would let them handle it and the contractor. Otherwise
I would be reading all the fine print in the contract and warrantee and
trying to prove it was incorrectly installed. What is the wall sheathing
like? Unless the contractor installed the sheathing he may not be
responsible if it can't hold the nails.

The siding was installed about
2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and labor
defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding coming
loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts were so
high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He says
that my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can
anyone refer me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl
siding specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without
coming lose from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Richards

"Pat" wrote in message

"John Richards" wrote in message
news
There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about
a month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl
siding in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding
were not torn, the siding pulled the nails right out.

Seems like the material itself did not fail. So did the contractor nail
it properly? A roofing nail every 16" of the correct length? Do you have
insurance? If so I would let them handle it and the contractor.
Otherwise I would be reading all the fine print in the contract and
warrantee and trying to prove it was incorrectly installed. What is the
wall sheathing like? Unless the contractor installed the sheathing he may
not be responsible if it can't hold the nails.

Thanks for the reply. If the siding were nailed into the wall studs with
the proper length nails, it shouldn't matter what the wall sheathing was
like, right?

The siding was installed about
2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and
labor defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding
coming loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts
were so high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He
says that my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can
anyone refer me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl
siding specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without
coming lose from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

John Richards wrote:
[...]

My siding, that has been on the house over 15 years, just went thru 3
major hurricanes. All siding is still on the house. No damage at all. I
think your installation was done wrong. Have it inspected by the
insurance folks.
Good luck
Posted to alt.home.repair

you make the claim with your homeowners insurance and explain the
situation. they will cover the cost and decide if its worth going after
the contractor.

how much to repair $$$???

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

John Richards wrote:

Thanks for the reply. If the siding were nailed into the wall studs
with the proper length nails, it shouldn't matter what the wall
sheathing was like, right?

I doubt if you are going to find may applications where the siding is
all nailed into studs. It would be pure luck. Sheathing should do it.

Let's fact it. You home was damaged by the wind. 65 mph is enough to
do damage. Call you insurance company.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

John Richards wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

My vinyl siding was nailed up 21 years ago. Since then, I have done two
alterations to the outside which required the removal of the siding.
I had to use a claw to pull the 1" roofing nails out, which were
installed haphazardly in the 1/2" plywood sheathing without regard to
the location of studs. I live on the top of a hill which gets its share
of high winds, including a few hurricanes and at least one tornado over
those 21 years. No siding has ever blown off or even came loose.

The siding was installed about

2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and
labor defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding
coming loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts
were so high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He
says that my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can
anyone refer me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl
siding specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without
coming lose from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Why do you have insurance, you have it for unplanned ocurances like
wind damage. You can waste time and effort fighting the installer and
get nowhere or relax and let the insurance company handle things. You
may be right, but is it worth getting angry over, no, just get it fixed
right. If you are worried about future damage then get a pro out to
document and diagnose the issue. Just because 60 mph was at the airport
does not mean 100mph+ wasnt at your house, research Microburst. Unless
you were outside measuring the wind you really have no idea how strong
it was at the time the damage ocured. A pro can tell you if the rest of
your job is going to survive another storm. just be happy you have
insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

It shouldn't be more than a hour or so job to reinstall the 100 sq foot of
siding unless there is damaged trim coil. Sounds like you have plenty of
time invested in the thing. And as far as the wind I have seen houses that
siding keeps blowing off like a freak wind zone sometimes at the end of a
culdesac. Over all it sounds like wind damage you should be able to have it
put backtogether in no time.
"m Ransley" wrote in message
Why do you have insurance, you have it for unplanned ocurances like
wind damage. You can waste time and effort fighting the installer and
get nowhere or relax and let the insurance company handle things. You
may be right, but is it worth getting angry over, no, just get it fixed
right. If you are worried about future damage then get a pro out to
document and diagnose the issue. Just because 60 mph was at the airport
does not mean 100mph+ wasnt at your house, research Microburst. Unless
you were outside measuring the wind you really have no idea how strong
it was at the time the damage ocured. A pro can tell you if the rest of
your job is going to survive another storm. just be happy you have
insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Who installed the sheathing and picked out the type to use. That could be
the problem. Either that or the contractor did not use the right nails or
enuf nails putting up the siding. Check gaps between holes and that will
tell you if enuf nails were used.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Richards

The house was originally built in 1987 with "Thermoply" sheathing (a 1/8 in
thick silver surfaced material which meets local code - Ryan Homes still
uses the stuff) with vinyl siding over the Thermoply. I had never had a
problem (other than fading and getting tired of the color) with the original
vinyl siding for 16 years (I suspect the siding was nailed to the studs).
The new siding was installed over a layer of Tyvek wrap and a layer of 1/2
in foamboard nailed over the Thermoply which is the normal procedure for the
contractors from whom I had gotten estimates.

A piece of siding in one of the two areas pulled loose within a year of the
installation and the contractor nailed it back up. Now, after 2 1/2 years,
siding in the same area and also in another area were pulled completely off
the house. I'm sure the heavy winds were responsible for the siding being
pulled off, but my problem is that there was very little similar damage to
other vinyl clad houses in the neighborhood (most of which were built with
1/2 in OSB) or in the general area, but mine sustained considerable damage
that seems out of line with what happened in the surrounding area. I
suspect that when the new siding was installed that it was not nailed to the
studs as I had assumed, but just through the foamboard and into the
Thermoply and that is why the nails pulled out. I am currently trying to
find out if there are any local codes addressing the installation of vinyl
siding over Thermoply and if there is, and the contractor didn't install the
siding according to code, I will persue the matter, otherwise I will try to
have it taken care of through insurance.

I am putting a lot of time and energy into this rather than just relying on
insurance because I feel I spent good money to have a job done right and if
it wasn't I think it is up to the contractor to make it right. Besides, if
everyone relies on insurance to correct poor workmansip by contractors,
everyones insurance rates will go up - also I would have to pay a $250
deductable.

Thanks to those who commented,
John

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:34:15 GMT, "John Richards"
wrote:

[...]

Do you know the manufacturer of the siding you got?
They've probably got installation instructions. Get
those, and compare them to what you actually got.

While you're at it, send pictures to the MF,
and see if they have any theories.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"John Richards" writes:

A piece of siding in one of the two areas pulled loose within a year of the
installation and the contractor nailed it back up.

I think the simple answer to your problem is
in places where the siding has come lose, use
screws instead of nails. Deck screws should do.

I've founds nails and screws in my siding, not sure
why they used nails in some places and screws in others.

It's pretty much impossible for the installer to put the
nails or screws into the studs and I don't think it is
necessary. If the nails went in deep enough to hit a stud,
they could also find your plumbing and wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Dan Espen :
"John Richards" writes:

A piece of siding in one of the two areas pulled loose within a year of the
installation and the contractor nailed it back up.

I think the simple answer to your problem is
in places where the siding has come lose, use
screws instead of nails. Deck screws should do.

I'd avoid deck screws, the underside of the flat head (cone shaped)
tends to cause the vinyl to distort and the head may slip out thru
the slot. Secondly, most deck screws have at least 1/2" of no-thread,
near the head, which means it won't grip sheathing that well.

There's a variety of screw that consists of a hex (not socket!) head,
with integral washer. One variety (self-drilling/tapping with a rubber
washer) is used for sheet steel roofing.

IIRC, you need a 5/16" socket driver and you can buy the screws by the
pound from many places. They're a bit more expensive than deck screws,
but, they don't need to be anywhere near as long. You just want 'em
galvanized.

I think they're called "self-tapping screws" if you buy them as blister
packs.

Or, they may be called sheet metal roofing screws (you don't need the washer type)

Use those instead of flat heads.

They're _great_ for siding.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The foamboard has no holding strength. Thermoply? is that a foamboard
also? What size nails were used, Does Thermoply have a fastening
recomendation. If it was done wrong, against siding or sheeting
recomendations you have a claim.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

By the way, vinyl sliding expands and moves so is never nailed tightly.

My guess is the Ryland installation worked with their crappy foam sheathing
because they could see the studs and some of the nails went into the studs
on purpose. When the foam board went up, they did not align it with the
studs and just nailed away. You got screwed. Even so, you might want to
report it to your insurance company just in case you cannot resolve it.
Usually there is a deadline. But I suspect all of the siding needs to come
down, along with the foam, and reinstalled correctly. That would not be
covered by insurance. You might call you state license board and file a
complaint. Same thing with BBB. May be a waste of effort but some licensing
boards do work. Also try the state attorney general's offfice. I would do
it all.

[...]

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Art, Rocco wrote:
Your being stubborn. Call your insurance co.. you'll end up in court with
additional expenses and no guarantee you'll win. Regardless of who did what,
save yourself a headache.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ind-98311-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-6, Rocco wrote:

replying to Art, Rocco wrote:
Your being stubborn. Call your insurance co.. you'll end up in court with
additional expenses and no guarantee you'll win. Regardless of who did what,
save yourself a headache.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ind-98311-.htm

You're being stupid. You are reply to a 10 year old thread.
Dunce.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Chuck B., BridgeTroll85 wrote:
I think you're mistaken. Builders Grade .042 will blow off in 60 to 70mph
winds. I say this because, one I watched it happen 3 days ago all throughout
Northren Virginia and two because I have built a career in insurance
restoration. You sir have provided no evidence, you just blame the contractor.
Because you don't know who else to blame. Well I assure you the insurance
knows who to blame. It's called an act of God clause. The installation was
more than likely fine. So don't blame the installation. That's called being a
uninformed asshole.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ind-98311-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 7:14:07 AM UTC-6, BridgeTroll85 wrote:
replying to Chuck B., BridgeTroll85 wrote:
I think you're mistaken. Builders Grade .042 will blow off in 60 to 70mph
winds. I say this because, one I watched it happen 3 days ago all throughout
Northren Virginia and two because I have built a career in insurance
restoration. You sir have provided no evidence, you just blame the contractor.
Because you don't know who else to blame. Well I assure you the insurance
knows who to blame. It's called an act of God clause. The installation was
more than likely fine. So don't blame the installation. That's called being a
uninformed asshole.
--

You're too late. 12 years ago, Chuck B was blown away in a storm but the siding stayed on his home. The few bits of Chuck's body that were found were used to fertilize the flower beds around his home. It was a tragic loss for his family and friends. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2018 08:14 AM, BridgeTroll85 wrote:
replying to Chuck B., BridgeTroll85 wrote:
I think you're mistaken. Builders Grade .042 will blow off in 60 to 70mph
winds. I say this because, one I watched it happen 3 days ago all throughout
Northren Virginia and two because I have built a career in insurance
restoration. You sir have provided no evidence, you just blame the contractor.
Because you don't know who else to blame. Well I assure you the insurance
knows who to blame. It's called an act of God clause. The installation was
more than likely fine. So don't blame the installation. That's called being a
uninformed asshole.

Did the fasteners pull out of the sheeting or did the siding crack and break off at the fasteners?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 8:14:07 AM UTC-5, BridgeTroll85 wrote:
replying to Chuck B., BridgeTroll85 wrote:
I think you're mistaken. Builders Grade .042 will blow off in 60 to 70mph
winds. I say this because, one I watched it happen 3 days ago all throughout
Northren Virginia and two because I have built a career in insurance
restoration. You sir have provided no evidence, you just blame the contractor.
Because you don't know who else to blame. Well I assure you the insurance
knows who to blame. It's called an act of God clause. The installation was
more than likely fine. So don't blame the installation. That's called being a
uninformed asshole.

Obviously you don't have much experience at all with insurance, because
the typical homeowner's policy doesn't consider storm damage an act of
God and refuse to pay. If that was the case, people would not be
collecting after a tree crashes down on their home after a storm or
when their home burns down after being struck by lightning. Those
are "acts of God". As for the insurance company knowing who to blame,
some insurance companies will try to deny or limit claims, with various
excuses.

Installation does make a big difference. I remember a severe storm that
did some damage to the condo complex where I was living at the time.
We had some shingles blown off, a few here and there. The complex
across the street that was less than 10 years old, was devastated with
most of the roofs having huge sections of shingles gone. The difference?
Those were stapled on instead of nailed.

I'd say Ken's post is on the right track, eg how exactly was the siding
installed and at what does analysis of where exactly it failed show?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to willshak, Laura wrote:
What kind of nails are used, this is my 3rd time this year with gusts taking
siding off? I just paid to have it replaced, I used screws and guy took them
out and nailed which is not holding

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ind-98311-.htm

Vinyl Siding losthenfound Home Repair 12 March 11th 06 03:44 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 09:52 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 03:22 PM
Vinyl windows and siding: need to make decision Pat Kiewicz Home Repair 1 July 10th 03 04:09 PM