Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone have a compressor in their lawn shed?

Just curious. I'm in the northeast and will be building a 10 X 14
lawn shed about 60 feet from the house. I may run electricity out
there, and I wondered if made any sense to consider putting a 30-40
gallon oil-lubed compressor there and running an air line underground
to my basement workshop?

I know many who have a larger, noisy compressor put it in their
garages and run a copper pipe to the shop. But what about an airline
underground, and what about having a compressor in an unheated
out-building?

Probably a dumb idea but I had to ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Just curious. I'm in the northeast and will be building a 10 X 14
lawn shed about 60 feet from the house. I may run electricity out
there, and I wondered if made any sense to consider putting a 30-40
gallon oil-lubed compressor there and running an air line underground
to my basement workshop?

I know many who have a larger, noisy compressor put it in their
garages and run a copper pipe to the shop. But what about an airline
underground, and what about having a compressor in an unheated
out-building?

Probably a dumb idea but I had to ask.

The air compressor is in the barn unheated (KS, 0F and lower on
occasion) and not been a problem in 40 years or more--never even
thought about it before now, in fact. As for running the air line
underground, don't see any real problem other than being a water trap.
Would you have any way to clear it other than simply letting the line
exhaust? Of course a trap before the underground run would help some,
but would have inevitable condensation in the line. How big a problem
it would be would be related to how long the run is. Obviously you
will want to use a line rated for the service whichever way you choose
to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I have a 60-gal compressor in the corner of the garage with a 3/4"
copper line running underground about 30 feet to my shop building. The
climate here is very dry, so I only have to drain the tank a couple of
times a year. Use the thicker grade of copper for the part of the line
that is underground.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
Just curious. I'm in the northeast and will be building a 10 X 14
lawn shed about 60 feet from the house. I may run electricity out
there, and I wondered if made any sense to consider putting a 30-40
gallon oil-lubed compressor there and running an air line underground
to my basement workshop?

I know many who have a larger, noisy compressor put it in their
garages and run a copper pipe to the shop. But what about an airline
underground, and what about having a compressor in an unheated
out-building?

Probably a dumb idea but I had to ask.

If you get very cold weather, it might be difficult to drain the water from
the tank in the winter.
You could put a "T" at the lowest part of the pipe. One leg of the "T"
points down, going to a small copper tube, which bends up to end
above ground with a valve there. Open the valve to drain water from
the pipe.
I used galvanized iron pipe on the line from my shop to the house.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

given the work of digging snake whatever line you use thru a 4 inch
schedule 40 pvc sewer pipe.

if the underground line ever has a problem you can easily replace the
line

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Not an explosion hazard because it's buried.

But if it cracks, it would sure leak a lot of air. Why take the chance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a great idea, except you should plan on keeping a 60W bulb under the
tank so you can drain it. Otherwise the water that collects in it will
freeze.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
Just curious. I'm in the northeast and will be building a 10 X 14
lawn shed about 60 feet from the house. I may run electricity out
there, and I wondered if made any sense to consider putting a 30-40
gallon oil-lubed compressor there and running an air line underground
to my basement workshop?

I know many who have a larger, noisy compressor put it in their
garages and run a copper pipe to the shop. But what about an airline
underground, and what about having a compressor in an unheated
out-building?

Probably a dumb idea but I had to ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
You can use PVC for the entire system. Been doing it for decades. Our
system limits at 160 psi.

PVC is not rated for air and has been know to cause serious accidents when
it shatters. It is not allowed by OSHA, it is NOT recommended by the makers
of PVC.

I've heard the argument that "we've had it for years" but that does not mean
it is a safe idea. Please, don't take my word for it, go a Google search
and educate yourself.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
An employee in a Texas plant was injured recently by a rupture in a PVC
compressed air line. Plastic projectiles from the point of rupture caused
lacerations of the employee's hand. This is noteworthy because the Plastic
Pipe Institute, in its Recommendation B dated January 19, 1972, recommends
against the use of thermoplastic pipe to transport compressed air or other
compressed gases in exposed plant piping. (See attachment.)

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/osha/inte...-89-06(rr).pdf
The problem with PVC piping is that low

temperatures and stress can cause an explosive failure which sends shards or

shrapnel flying. Thermoplastic pipe manufacturers and the Plastic Pipe
Institute

recommend against use of PVC pipe in exposed conditions. (Refer to Plastics
Pipe

Institute recommendation B revised October 1989)

There are flexible lines that are rated for air use.

http://www.freelin-wade.com/Products...LineHPHose.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have that cheap airline here that dates back to 1984 or 85. never had
a problem except at a connector. could probably bury that inside the
plastic line.

for easier digging schedule 40 FLEXIBLE is available for snaking around
tree riits and such..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not so dumb, really. The problem here is the 60 feet. You will have
frequent pressure drops. That can be an issue depending on what you
are doing. A larger diameter pipe will help here, although that would
increase the cost. I'm sure there is a recommended operating
temperature range in your manual. Sound baffles around noisy
equipment helps, enclosures reduce noise but also decrease needed
ventilation.

Put a tank in the shop, then run any size hose youlike, since the tank
will abosrb the pressure drops.

Water is also not a big freezing probelm, cause there is little moisture
in the air in the winter. I suspect those who use their compressor only
intermittently[or never drain it] have freezing issues

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Not so dumb, really. The problem here is the 60 feet. You will have
frequent pressure drops. That can be an issue depending on what you
are doing. A larger diameter pipe will help here, although that would
increase the cost. I'm sure there is a recommended operating
temperature range in your manual. Sound baffles around noisy
equipment helps, enclosures reduce noise but also decrease needed
ventilation.

"Frequent pressure drops"??

Pressure drop doesn't seem like a problem to me, and I typically
get my air through a 200 foot length of 3/8 inch air hose.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

As another poster has commented, put a medium-sized holding
tank in your workshop. This will eventually fill with air up to the
operating pressure of your shed-based compressor. For a 60'
run, I'd use standard flexible airhose inside of a modest diameter
pvc conduit. For very large runs, I'd use extremely inexpensive,
high pressure, smaller diameter flexible tubing. It works fine for
very long runs.

I'd also suggest installing a T-connector with quick connects at
the workshop holding tank. Everybody eventually winds up with
more than one compressor. I've got four of them. You will someday
own a second, small portable compressor useful for a brad nailer
and such.

With the quick connect and the T-fitting, you can tie in that second
compressor to speed up the recovery time for your holding tank.
I use such an arrangement with a 3-way splitter to combine capacities
of 3 of my compressors when I need quick recovery time and/or
high airflow capacity. Works fine.

Good luck,
Gideon

More shed electrical questions... (long explanation) Larry Fishel Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 08:59 PM
MTD lawn tractor design flaw? Ted B. Home Ownership 20 June 7th 05 01:12 PM
Shed wiring - OK [email protected] UK diy 5 April 13th 05 09:49 AM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM