Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with powered duct venting

My house has a built in entertainment center, with shelves on either
side of the TV. These shelves are 12" wide, which is way too small for
DVD and satellite receivers, etc. So I need to place the items in the
built in cabinents below the center. Even with the doors removed, it
is getting way too hot in the summer in this enclosed space (the wall
behind the entertainment center is the garage!). The new electronic
equipment coming out these days generates insane amounts of heat (XBOX
360 I'm talking to you).

I want to place a 6" or 8" duct to pull warm air out this cabinent
space with a fantech inline duct fan. My question is: Where do I take
this warm air. Do I need to route is back to the return air duct to
prevent negative pressure? Can I vent this to the attic, and perhaps
enough air will find it's way in to the house? Or could take it
through the back into the garage as well. Does anyone have a
suggestion for a solution. Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

bcdal wrote:

[...]

Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Up to attic should work. Screen the outlet.
I really don't think neg pressure will be a problem.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

bcdal wrote:
[...]

If you have a good option to do so, I think I would put it into the
return air duct.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Up to attic should work. Screen the outlet.
I really don't think neg pressure will be a problem.

Jim

The house we're buying has a hood over the stove which does not vent, it
has a filter and recirculates the air back into the room. I take it from
your response that when we get around to making a few adjustments to the
kitchen, we would not be allowed to change the hood to a vented one and
exhaust it into the garage, which is on the other side of the wall
behind the stove, but we could theoretically vent it through the attic
and out (ranch house)?

-Karen-
Posted to alt.home.repair

dkhedmo wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Up to attic should work. Screen the outlet.
I really don't think neg pressure will be a problem.

Jim

The house we're buying has a hood over the stove which does not vent, it
has a filter and recirculates the air back into the room. I take it from
your response that when we get around to making a few adjustments to the
kitchen, we would not be allowed to change the hood to a vented one and
exhaust it into the garage, which is on the other side of the wall
behind the stove, but we could theoretically vent it through the attic
and out (ranch house)?

-Karen-

Yes, metal duct thru attic to a "roof jack".

Here is one style:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS....jsp?pn=093828

Your city bldg dep't may have additional requirements.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
bcdal wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the response Jim.

It is possible to vent through the wall. Fantech makes a fan
especially for this:
http://www.fantech.net/rvf.htm

My only concerns are noise, since I will be facing this fan with only
an insulated wall separating the couch and the fan motor. Also, the
fan pulls anywhere from 100 to 200 cubic feet per minute. Do you think
this flow is too high?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

bcdal wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote:

bcdal wrote:

[...]

Vent thru an exterior wall, but not into a garage.

Yes, I think you are planning way too much CFM.
Something like 50 CFM should do it.
Try an experiment:
Purchase the cheapest bath vent fan with the lowest CFM rating.
Duct tape it to the cabinet and exhaust into the room.
Measure the equip temps inside the cabinet.

As for noise, if you can get a fan to mount remotely
(in the duct), there will be little noise in the living space.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
.com...
Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Why not vent to garage, Jim? possibility of garage fumes
entering house?

lee

Up to attic should work. Screen the outlet.
I really don't think neg pressure will be a problem.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

lee houston wrote:

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
.com...

Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Why not vent to garage, Jim? possibility of garage fumes
entering house?

lee

That too. But it's mainly a fire code issue
restricting penetrations of the fire-rated wall
between garage and house.
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

bcdal wrote:

SNIP
It is possible to vent through the wall. Fantech makes a fan
especially for this:
http://www.fantech.net/rvf.htm

My only concerns are noise, since I will be facing this fan with only
an insulated wall separating the couch and the fan motor. Also, the
fan pulls anywhere from 100 to 200 cubic feet per minute. Do you think
this flow is too high?

Thanks

Given the small air flow and the low (presumably) BTU Load
from the cabinet electronics, don't overlook Joseph Meehan's
suggestion to discharge into the return air duct.

Jim