Posted to alt.home.repair
bcdal bcdal is offline

Default Help with powered duct venting

Speedy Jim wrote:
bcdal wrote:

My house has a built in entertainment center, with shelves on either
side of the TV. These shelves are 12" wide, which is way too small for
DVD and satellite receivers, etc. So I need to place the items in the
built in cabinents below the center. Even with the doors removed, it
is getting way too hot in the summer in this enclosed space (the wall
behind the entertainment center is the garage!). The new electronic
equipment coming out these days generates insane amounts of heat (XBOX
360 I'm talking to you).

I want to place a 6" or 8" duct to pull warm air out this cabinent
space with a fantech inline duct fan. My question is: Where do I take
this warm air. Do I need to route is back to the return air duct to
prevent negative pressure? Can I vent this to the attic, and perhaps
enough air will find it's way in to the house? Or could take it
through the back into the garage as well. Does anyone have a
suggestion for a solution. Thanks in advance!

Not permissible to breach the wall to the garage for this.

Up to attic should work. Screen the outlet.
I really don't think neg pressure will be a problem.

Jim

Thanks for the response Jim.

It is possible to vent through the wall. Fantech makes a fan
especially for this:
http://www.fantech.net/rvf.htm

My only concerns are noise, since I will be facing this fan with only
an insulated wall separating the couch and the fan motor. Also, the
fan pulls anywhere from 100 to 200 cubic feet per minute. Do you think
this flow is too high?

Thanks