Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane tank / lightening question

How vulnerable are those 500 gal home propane tanks to lightening?

Are any particular grounding or other precautions useful?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Gavin wrote:
How vulnerable are those 500 gal home propane tanks to lightening?

Are any particular grounding or other precautions useful?

thanks

I would follow local codes and you should be safe.

The tanks are metal and totally enclosed. There is not oxygen in the
tank so unless the tank ruptures it is safe. The electricity will run
around the tank, the same way it does if your car gets hit by lightning.
Sort of like a Faraday cage.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

All the folks I know lighten them with white paint, or sometimes
silver paint.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
ink.net...
How vulnerable are those 500 gal home propane tanks to lightening?

Are any particular grounding or other precautions useful?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Kurt Gavin wrote:
How vulnerable are those 500 gal home propane tanks to lightening?

Are any particular grounding or other precautions useful?

thanks

I would follow local codes and you should be safe.

The tanks are metal and totally enclosed. There is not oxygen in the
tank so unless the tank ruptures it is safe. The electricity will run
around the tank, the same way it does if your car gets hit by lightning.
Sort of like a Faraday cage.

Other things can happen. I know a guy that had a large tank on his
property for the purpose of fueling his balloon tank, about 45 gallons.
He had a heater on the tanks to keep the propane volatile in the midst
of winter. When he came down in the morning and flipped on the light
switch, an explosion occurred. The shed was destroyed, a wall on his
house was burned, he suffered burns and was in a hospital for several
days. I can guarantee that he obeyed all the rules and laws. But there
must have been a tiny leak somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Kurt Gavin wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Didn't he know there is winter grade propane? Like winter grade gasoline?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Kurt Gavin wrote:
[...]

Yep, all bets are off if there is a leak in the tank. Propane is more
of a problem in some cases when it comes to leaks as it tends to "pool" in
low spots unlike NG that tends to float up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:37:24 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

All the folks I know lighten them with white paint, or sometimes
silver paint.

Actually, painting them makes them heavier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They are to heavy to steal

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwi...tos/pg341t.jpg

Yah got me! I'm the one in the middle.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Avery" wrote in message
news On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:37:24 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"