Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can you paint pressure treated redwood?

We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

Anybody with experience with this?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

mike wrote:
We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

Anybody with experience with this?

Mike

I have never heard of pressure treated red wood. i suspect you just got
a wet batch and its just water. Let it dry for a couple of months.

When finishing it DO NOT use paint. If you want a color then use a solid
color stain. Here is one good brand.
http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c...egory=exterior
Also Cabots is popular, probably cheaper and easier to find than
Sikkens. No sure about its quality though.

If you want only a hint of color get semi-transparent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

Anybody with experience with this?

Mike

Where did you find pressure treated redwood? I would not use
that as it is the only lumber of its kind in existence. Very
rare. In fact, it is non-existant.

Step two; you should not paint redwood. If you must cover
it, tis better with a penetrating stain applied to preserve
the beauty of the wood, while preserving it.

Step three; It will not be moist after a week or so out in
the air, unless it rains.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "mike" wrote:
We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

No such thing as pressure treated redwood AFAIK. Kinda pointless anyway, since
redwood is naturally rot- and insect-resistant. It's hard to see any benefit
from pressure-treating it.

What you almost certainly have is simply *wet* redwood. Or pressure-treated
*pine*.

In either case, you need to let it dry out some before you paint it. If it's
really redwood, you need to let it dry *completely* before painting, and prime
with an oil-base primer. Then top-coat with either latex or oil paint.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

To know when your "pressure treated red wood" is dry enough buy a
moisture meter, its better than an intelligent guess for your "ptrw".

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
To know when your "pressure treated red wood" is dry enough buy a
moisture meter, its better than an intelligent guess for your "ptrw".

I appreciate all the help on this.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 6 Jul 2006 11:53:19 -0700, "mike" wrote:

We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

Anybody with experience with this?

Mike

I think the point of using redwood is that it doesn't have to be
treated to last many years. It's also attractive without being
painted. Isn't redwood more expensive that most other woods? Why did
you use it if not for the advantages that it brings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c...ct_category=ex
terior Also Cabots is popular, probably cheaper and easier to find
than Sikkens. No sure about its quality though.

If you want only a hint of color get semi-transparent.

I wouldn't put Sikkens on an abandon dog house!

20 yrs ago I had a house built. Transluscent Sikkens was put on the cedar
siding at my request. It was advertised as not needing recoat for longer
than paint. "They use it in Noooorway." (So what?). It was very
expensive. Well in a few years it started to peel where the sun beat on
it. Had the rep come out. Now he's suggesting a UV coat over it every
couple of years. Why did I pay premium $ for something I would have to
apply more often than less expensive paint. It was more expensive than
top quality paint. He offered nothing.

We were talking about a LOT of exterior area. I mean a LOT. So I scraped
and did do the UV coat. The **** also peeled in a couple of years. By now
this crap was up to 40-50/gal and that was 20 yrs ago! I let it peel and
did the unbelievable job of strip sanding the crap down to the siding
over a period of a fall and spring season. Primed with something called
Fresh Start and painted with 2 coats of Benjarman Moore. It came out
georgous and outlasted the Sikkens by 2-3x easy. The original builder
could not believe I had done it and done it myself. He had said that
virtually every house he had already put the crap on at the owners
request was peeling unless it was recoated every year or two. And that he
now refused to put it on any house he built because he didn't want his
name attached to any house with it on it.

I personally saw two other houses that peeled the same. One guy had a
single story home and took all the siding off and reversed it.

I don't give a rats ass what they have done to it in 20 yers. The effort
to fix that crap was immense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:

We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

Anybody with experience with this?

Mike

If you do a decent job of painting (prep dry wood, prime, paint,
maintain periodically) you don't need redwood or pt. If you aren't
going to maintain the paint, then pt becomes more useful but why paint
it in the first place?