Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Can you paint pressure treated redwood?

In article . com, "mike" wrote:
We're building a wooden canopy and the redwood we bought for the
supports feels kind of "moist". Can we prime and paint it, or do we
need to somehow dry it out first? We won't do that. How about a special
primer that works with "moist" pressure treated redwood?

No such thing as pressure treated redwood AFAIK. Kinda pointless anyway, since
redwood is naturally rot- and insect-resistant. It's hard to see any benefit
from pressure-treating it.

What you almost certainly have is simply *wet* redwood. Or pressure-treated
*pine*.

In either case, you need to let it dry out some before you paint it. If it's
really redwood, you need to let it dry *completely* before painting, and prime
with an oil-base primer. Then top-coat with either latex or oil paint.

--
Regards,