Posted to alt.home.repair

Default John Deere STX38 with low compression, 65psi (lawn tractor)

Before I rip this thing a part dose anybody have any thoughts on a
problem other than rings?
It's just lost power over time. Or that's what I was told....

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you might want check the gap on the Intake & Exhust
valves first.
Just my first thought.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Kevin wrote:
Before I rip this thing a part dose anybody have any thoughts on a
problem other than rings?
It's just lost power over time. Or that's what I was told....

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

Kevin wrote:
Before I rip this thing a part dose anybody have any thoughts on a
problem other than rings?
It's just lost power over time. Or that's what I was told....

Thanks for any help.

absolutely check the valve gap and it will not hurt to reseat the valves
if you have to pull them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sounds like you might want check the gap on the Intake & Exhust
valves first.
Just my first thought.

Good Luck,
Jeff

Also, check for carbon buildup at the valve seats. Not likely but an easy
check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2006 12:51:08 -0700, "Kevin" wrote:

Before I rip this thing a part dose anybody have any thoughts on a
problem other than rings?
It's just lost power over time. Or that's what I was told....

Thanks for any help.

Score the cylinder walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jeff

I got the manual on line last night, should have done that before I
posted the question.
turns out normal range is between 80 and 50psi. Maybe the rings and
valves are Ok.
The air filter was a mess, looks as if it hadn't been changed or
looked at for a long time. It was covered with moths, leaves and other
muck. Maybe it wasn't getting enough air? Maybe I'll rebuild the carb,
if it's anything like the filters it'll need it.

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

if its a kohler command engine, and it has any oil in it other than
10w30, it will cause a loss of power by not letting the valves close
consistently.lucas