Posted to alt.home.repair
Murk

Default New Central AC Recommendations?

We live in Central Texas where temperatures stay in the 90's for half
the year and are mild for most of the winter. Our current 4 ton York
unit is 12 years old and starting to fail (freon leaks in the coil
among other things).

We have had several different estimates for a new installation from
local companies that vary considerably - all for units from different
manufacturers. Though Carrier seems to be the most recommended brand
online, none of these companies offer Carrier.

Instead we have been offered Trane, Amana and Fridgidaire. Amana is the
cheapest, Trane much more expensive. Has anyone had experience with new
installation of these brands in the past few years?

Is Trane worth the extra money for a similar SEER rating?

What other questions do you feel are most important to ask the
installers?

Thanks,

Murk

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

I went Carrier, and am delighted with it, but understand you wanting a
local co., you may need service later on. A couple of things which made
my install better: the contractor put in a 5 ton coil, it kicks up the
seer a bit and just makes things run better (more surface area). He
also installed a humidistat instead of a thermostat which runs the AC
on low speed when the humidity climbs. The third bell / whistle, was an
Autumn air filter, a huge pleated filter good for a year or more and
very fine filtration, I've found the filters on ebay for about 1/2 the
$35 they cost locally. Central TX gets pretty hot so, I imagine you
could easily have a high seer unit pay for itself, I'd say I'm saving ~
$100 per month with the 18 seer during the hot months which here is
pretty much March till November. My old unit however, was pretty
inefficient, and would run all day and still lose the battle in
mid-afternoon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Murk" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I just had a 4 ton, 13 SEER Rheem installed. I realize this is not one of
your possibilities. I did find a wide range of prices running from $3400
all the way up to $10k so it's definitely best to shop around. My
installer said he actually prefers Rheem and others that are just basic
units as the Carriers etc... have too many bells and whistles such that
something is always wrong with them. I've always thought of Carrier as a
good brand however. In any case, check the warranties of the various units
and for me, I'd go with what's cheapest with the longest, most comprehensive
warranty.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

"Murk" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

You need to start from scratch.
First, have a manual J heat-gain heat-loss calc done.
Then, do everything possible to reduce the heat-gain!
Have the entire ductwork checked for leaks and proper sizing for the new
(perhaps smaller) central A/C size.
Central TX should be a hot and dry climate therefore you will need to
use high airflow through the evaporator coil; up to 475-CFM per Ton of
cooling.
Make those oversized coils absorb and discharge heat at near the BTUH
Capacity Rating of the Equipment!
A proper high quality installation is everything! Yes, Goodman equipment
will work well when installed properly.
Follow all the links below and read and Learn what you need to know.
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

Central heating Q. Dave Winters UK diy 7 February 11th 05 01:06 PM
Rayburn integrated into central heating David Cawkwell UK diy 2 February 8th 05 06:23 PM
Complicated central Heating; Back-Boiler and Combi-Boiler tfc715 UK diy 1 February 3rd 05 05:30 PM
Partial gas central heating (PGCH)? Dalesgate UK diy 11 January 23rd 05 01:52 PM
Central Heating costs + other questions The Question Asker UK diy 7 December 1st 03 06:28 PM