Dave Winters

Default Central heating Q.

Central heating isn't my thing so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I need to remove a radiator to do some work - not on the central heating
system you'll be pleased to hear ) - and for various reasons it's likely
it will be off for about 10 days or so. Obviously, we don't want to be
without heating in the rest of the house for that period so my question is,
what do I do?

Is it likely that each radiator has its own feed and return pipes all coming
from/going to some central point - in which case, I presume I can just close
the radiator valves and leave it like that until I'm ready to replace the
radiator? Or is it more likely that water will flow through one radiator to
the next, and the next, and so on in a loop, in which case I suppose I'll
have to bridge the two ends with pipe to keep the water flowing?

The system is a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, about 15 years old.

TIA

Dave.

Mike

"Dave Winters" wrote in message
Central heating isn't my thing so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I need to remove a radiator to do some work - not on the central heating
system you'll be pleased to hear ) - and for various reasons it's

likely
it will be off for about 10 days or so. Obviously, we don't want to be
without heating in the rest of the house for that period so my question

is,
what do I do?

Is it likely that each radiator has its own feed and return pipes all

coming
from/going to some central point - in which case, I presume I can just

close
the radiator valves and leave it like that until I'm ready to replace the
radiator?

Most probably. Not always (there were systems called single pipe) but
usually you'll be OK.

Dave Winters

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

Coo, that was quick )

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it.

Dave.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

"Dave Winters" wrote in message

Is it likely that each radiator has its own feed and return pipes all coming
from/going to some central point - in which case, I presume I can just close
the radiator valves and leave it like that until I'm ready to replace the
radiator?

Most probably. Not always (there were systems called single pipe) but
usually you'll be OK.

Even single pipe is OK if the radiator has valves at each side,
as the pipe provides a path for the water flow.

If one end is a thermostatic radiator valve, then just turning
that off probably isn't good enough -- they don't usually have
an 'off' position, just a low or frost position. You need to
remove the thermostatic head and replace it with the blind cap
which comes with the valve, and will seal it off regardless of
the temperature.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Jeff

Mike wrote :-

Most probably. Not always (there were systems called single pipe) but
usually you'll be OK.

I thought single pipe was what i've got

______ ______
|__R__| |__R__|
F____|_____|_________|_____|________R

excuse the crude art

Regards Jeff

Mike

"Jeff" wrote in message

Mike wrote :-

Most probably. Not always (there were systems called single pipe) but
usually you'll be OK.

I thought single pipe was what i've got

______ ______
|__R__| |__R__|
F____|_____|_________|_____|________R

excuse the crude art

If this is what you have then yes. Do you have valves both ends or just one
?

Trevor Smith

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,

snipped

If one end is a thermostatic radiator valve, then just turning
that off probably isn't good enough -- they don't usually have
an 'off' position, just a low or frost position. You need to
remove the thermostatic head and replace it with the blind cap
which comes with the valve, and will seal it off regardless of
the temperature.

--
Andrew Gabriel

It will be best to get two blanking caps with rubber washers from your local
plumbers merchant (if you tell him what you are doing he will know what you
want) to fit over each valve outlet just in case the valves let by or get
knocked whilst working in that area.

Trevor

Jeff

Mike wrote :-

excuse the crude art

If this is what you have then yes. Do you have valves both ends or just

one
?

Valves are at both ends, one at top of rad and one at the bottom.

Regards Jeff