Posted to alt.home.repair
Nathan Zimmerman

Default Casement window air conditioners

Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

TIA,

Nathan Zimmerman

--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

see energystar search with only a couple of your descriptive casement
items at:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...condit ioners

Nathan Zimmerman wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

TIA,

Nathan Zimmerman

--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

http://www.nextag.com/casement-windo...er/search-html

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"lee_houston" wrote in message
. com...

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

http://www.nextag.com/casement-windo...er/search-html

If your casement windows are wood, I'd look again at wall-throughs, or at
least removing the casement in question and replacing it with a temporary
plexi panel above the a/c unit or something. My grandmother, and my mother
after she took over that house, continually left the casements open in wet
weather, since the overhang kept the rain out. However, the casement frame
itself was in the weather, and it was pure hell on them. I had to do a
buttload of work on those windows when it came time to sell the place. And
these were good windows, Andersons (1961 vintage), that ordinarily are very
durable.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

TIA,

How big of a unit? You can expect to pay $300 or more for a modest size.
Only a couple of brands available as they are a small market.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Besides being 'purdy' (assuming I understand this to mean 'pretty'), new
casement windows are generally slightly more energy efficient than other
styles of windows such as double-hung. I assume this is since the locking
mechanism pulls the window closed tighter and since there isn't the wear of
the sliding parts they seal tighter over the long run.

That said, they aren't easy to use with even the standard casement A/C unit.
I had to pull out the entire crank and lock mechanism and drill two small
holes to fasten the mounting hardware for the older style windows I use to
have. Installing a thru-the-wall unit would still be more work, but it
still wasn't as simple as the A/C units for double-hung.

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
lid says...
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

I gave up and did a through-wall under the bedroom window.
Casement windows may look purdy, but they're useless as...

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Knit Chic

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

TIA,

Nathan Zimmerman

We have this one:
http://www.bizrate.com/airconditioners/pid301849614/
It works quite well and comes w/ a handy remote. Ok, so I have never used
the remote .. but if you needed one, it has one
I'm thinking that ours was a little less than $300.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mwlogs" wrote in message
That said, they aren't easy to use with even the standard casement A/C
unit. I had to pull out the entire crank and lock mechanism and drill two
small holes to fasten the mounting hardware for the older style windows I
use to have. Installing a thru-the-wall unit would still be more work,
but it still wasn't as simple as the A/C units for double-hung.

What I did some years ago for a couple of people was to replace the window.
I put the Ac in the bottom of the window opening, then installed a shorter
window above it. You lose some window space, you have the AC in position
year round, but you have a window that can be opened on nice days. Just
check to see that the new window still meets code for minimum size.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:47:26 -0400, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

I gave up and did a through-wall under the bedroom window.
Casement windows may look purdy, but they're useless as...

The AC's for them are small, right? Don't cool much. Only have a very
few models. Plus an AC keeps you from opening the window, and cuts the
sunlight that comes in by 1/3 or 1/6th.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , Knit Chic says...

"Nathan Zimmerman" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

TIA,

Nathan Zimmerman

We have this one:
http://www.bizrate.com/airconditioners/pid301849614/
It works quite well and comes w/ a handy remote. Ok, so I have never used
the remote .. but if you needed one, it has one
I'm thinking that ours was a little less than $300.

I have this one, a Whirlpool:

http://www.bizrate.com/airconditione...areprices.html

....installed through the wall, though (the dimension suited the particualr wall
space), it's new; I'm happy with it so far.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:34:42 -0400, Nathan Zimmerman
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air
conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and
would like to avoid a through the wall unit.

When I moved in the previous owner had a junky-looking casement AC in
the bedroom (which I had her discard). The inside window sill was
rotted. I have a portable AC now which requires sticking a vent out
the window. Because I have no place to store it, it is not the
optimal situation. Fortunately for most days around here, open
windows and a fan is sufficient.

If the casement AC doesn't work out, a portable might be an option.

Sue(tm)

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
How to Touch Up Wood Casement Window? [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 27th 05 03:28 PM
Common and/or Legal definition of "casement window"? Me Home Repair 7 September 5th 04 04:20 PM
maximum width of top hung upvc casement window without a centre support Sean UK diy 1 July 10th 04 05:42 PM
Old casement window problem David Home Repair 2 April 1st 04 08:24 PM