David

Default Old casement window problem

Hello Everyone,
We recently bought a 1927 home and are working our way through a
number of projects. One that I don't have the faintest on how to start
is one of our upstairs bedroom windows. It is a double casement(I
think that is what they are called-two separate windows, but installed
as one unit), with the strings and weights to hold the window open.
Anyway, there is a center pillar separating the windows that has at
some point either been pushed or knocked from the inside towards the
outside of the house about 3/4 of an inch. So there is now a gap of
about 1 inch on the outside of each window. The window is supposed to
fit snugly inside a ridge on the sill, but now there is a gap on the
outside which is collecting moisture and will obviously cause the
window to deteriorate. It does not look too far gone at this point,
but I need to do something.
My question is is there any way to pull the center pillar back into
place without removing the entire window unit and replacing the
pillar, sill, etc? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Money
is tight due to a new electrical system, so I would like to handle it
myself if possible.
Thanks in advance,
David
mwlogs

sounds like twin double-hungs not casements. Casements crank open and don't
use ropes and weights. Double-hungs raise up to open, and use the weights
to keep them open.

It sounds like perhaps the two windows weren't installed with any center
support and have bowed out over time. Have you pulled the trim off the
inside to see what is holding the two windows together. I'm betting it's
not much if anything at all. You are probably going to have to work some to
pull them back into position, and then figure a way to fasten them so they
stay.

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

David

"mwlogs" wrote in message . ..
sounds like twin double-hungs not casements. Casements crank open and don't
use ropes and weights. Double-hungs raise up to open, and use the weights
to keep them open.

It sounds like perhaps the two windows weren't installed with any center
support and have bowed out over time. Have you pulled the trim off the
inside to see what is holding the two windows together. I'm betting it's
not much if anything at all. You are probably going to have to work some to
pull them back into position, and then figure a way to fasten them so they
stay.

Thanks for the clarification of the window type. Shows you how much I
know. I have not pulled the trim off to see the inside of the window
yet, but will try. The windows have not bowed towards each other, but
it is the trim piece in the center that is pushed out which effects
how the windows open and close and has left the gap at the bottom of
each window where moisture is collecting.
-David