Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Touch Up Wood Casement Window?

I would like to know the best way to touch up the horizontal surface of
a wooden casement window. The finish of some areas in the casement
window have chipped out. I would like to touch up those areas. But I
don't know what is the finish that was applied on the surface.
Therefore, I don't know where to start. I would like people to help me
to identify the finish that is on the surface of the wood casement
window.

I am sure the finish is not paint because I can clearly see the wood
grain. I have a feeling that there is a film over the wood that
protected the wood, gives it a glossy/satin look, and also gives the
wood a dark brown color. That film of finish is the thing that gets
chipped out and exposes the light color wood under the finish. I have
a feeling that the exposed wood underneat the film of finish has not
been stained because its color is light.

What's the finish that was applied on the wood? How to touch up the
areas that have chipped out?

Can I try something simple to restore like 75% of the original look in
case I cannot determine the original finish on the wood? How's about
wax? How's about tung oil?

I have read the caring-tip of the casement window in the manufacturer
site (Anderson Window). But the document doesn't say what finish was
put on the window.

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Jay, why not call Anderson? Here, you may get guesses, some of them good
ones. You should get better guesses from the manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Tha's because most windows from Andersen (unless they are the Renewal
line) are supplied with unfinished pine jambs-the end user takes care
of that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Unless you are referring to the cladding they put on the sills and
such. But to my recollection they only come in white and sandalwood.
Could be wrong-it's been a long time since I installed any
Andersens...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Are you thinking maybe his windows only have a thin coat of primer?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tha's because most windows from Andersen (unless they are the

Renewal
line) are supplied with unfinished pine jambs-the end user takes

care
of that.

Are you thinking maybe his windows only have a thin coat of primer?

Last Andersen casements I installed were ordered with unfinished clear
pine extension jambs, ready for stain. They may have preprimed paint
grade extensions too. The product guide should say what what's
available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Oh yes, "sill" is the right term. The areas that have color chipped
off are on the sill of the casement window. I am very sure that there
is no paint on the wooden area of the casement window. I think I will
try some color-matching wax to see if the result is acceptable or not.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Actually, I had already contacted Anderson Windows, and they asked me
to download the caring instruction from their web site. "Naturally",
the caring instruction doesn't say anything about caring the specific
finish on the wooden part of the window -- just something very general.
This leaves me an impression that the window might not have come with
any finish when it was off from the manufacturing plant; therefore,
they cannot give me anything specific. The color stain probably was
put on the window after it was installed based on the fact that some
"not easy to be seen" areas in the window was not stained.

Seem like I should visit Home Depot and ask people there for a
recommendation.

Jay Chan