Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent Hardy

Default Air Compressor Duty Cycle Question

I have a 5 gallon twin tank and although its a relativley small tank it
has a fast recharge time - about 15 seconds for it to go from when it
kicks on until it reaches just around 145PSI. In the manual it states
that the compressor has a 50% duty cycle. Am I understanding this
right to mean that if my compressor recharges for 15 sec then I need to
let it idle for a minimum of 15 seconds before it should be kicking on
again?

Thanks,

-Brent

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah that about it. you can add a larger oir extra tank. most small
compressors dont get to 145 pounds what are you using?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Brent Hardy wrote:
I have a 5 gallon twin tank and although its a relativley small tank
it has a fast recharge time - about 15 seconds for it to go from when
it kicks on until it reaches just around 145PSI. In the manual it
states that the compressor has a 50% duty cycle. Am I understanding
this right to mean that if my compressor recharges for 15 sec then I
need to let it idle for a minimum of 15 seconds before it should be
kicking on again?

Thanks,

-Brent

More a matter of no more than 30 minutes run time per hour. Less on a
hot day and maybe more on a cold day.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message .. .
Brent Hardy wrote:
I have a 5 gallon twin tank and although its a relativley small tank
it has a fast recharge time - about 15 seconds for it to go from when
it kicks on until it reaches just around 145PSI. In the manual it
states that the compressor has a 50% duty cycle. Am I understanding
this right to mean that if my compressor recharges for 15 sec then I
need to let it idle for a minimum of 15 seconds before it should be
kicking on again?

Thanks,

-Brent

More a matter of no more than 30 minutes run time per hour. Less on a
hot day and maybe more on a cold day.

And probably less if it's in a closed closet with no ventilation.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

More a matter of no more than 30 minutes run time per hour. Less on a
hot day and maybe more on a cold day.

Right, and some have a number of "starts" per hour limit. If it runs 15
and is off 15, you have 4 starts per hour. If it runs 1 minute off, one on,
you have 30 starts and a lot of strain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent Hardy

What exactly is the danger of having the compressor running in a my
closet? Are you concerned that the heat generated by the compressor
will increase the ambient air temperature to level that will cause the
compressor to overheat/lose efficiency, or that the lack of or slowed
air exchange will somehow cause the compressor problems. Bear in mind
its not a coat closet, its roughly 4' x 10' and theres about a 1" gap
at the bottom of the door, hardly air tight.

Thanks,

-Brent

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Brent Hardy wrote:
wrote:
yeah that about it. you can add a larger oir extra tank. most small
compressors dont get to 145 pounds what are you using?

Its a "Masterpower" brand by cooper tools. I think it may be a
relabel of something else, since I got it as Costco (about 3 mo.
ago). Cast iron oil-lube, its louder that I'd like, but I just stick
it in a large closet in my garage and its muffled pretty nicley.

That restricted air flow will also reduce its effective duty cycle.

It
has a 150psi max, 5.6cfm @ 90 PSI, pretty good for a portable 5
gallon.

Thanks,

-Brent

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Brent Hardy wrote:
What exactly is the danger of having the compressor running in a my
closet? Are you concerned that the heat generated by the compressor
will increase the ambient air temperature to level that will cause the
compressor to overheat/lose efficiency, or that the lack of or slowed
air exchange will somehow cause the compressor problems.

Yes, Heat is the primary determining factor for duty cycle.

Bear in mind
its not a coat closet, its roughly 4' x 10' and theres about a 1" gap
at the bottom of the door, hardly air tight.

Compressors make a lot of heat. It is not just the motor, but
compressing the air makes it hot so that heat will also be trapped in there.

Thanks,

-Brent

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Brent Hardy wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Are 2-cycle engines or 4 cylce engines 'better'? dean Home Repair 21 June 14th 05 02:46 PM
Furnace short cycle question Harry Home Repair 2 December 25th 04 08:56 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM